Vista Banter

-   -   vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan. (http://www.vistabanter.com/124975-vista-horribly-slow-today-after-cleaning-my-cpu-fan.html)

abudahim May 24th 08 07:24 PM

vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.

hi
today i cleaned my cpu fan (wish i didn't) , after i put everything in its place, i run my machine and it started slowly.
also the games that was running fine now it runs very slow and i can't play it.
my base score is the same (4.3). i dont know what is wrong ?
any ideas ?
thank you

i forgot to tell you that my processor is pentuim 4. and my VGA is nvidia 8800 GTS.
and downloaded the latest drivers but nothing changed.

Dustin Harper May 24th 08 09:56 PM

vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.

Did you remove the heatsink to clean the fan? If so, you may check to make
sure it is seated against the CPU perfect, as well as put a new layer of
thermal grease on it, too. The P4's slow down when they get too hot, and
after cleaning the fan, it sounds like that may be the problem.

--

Dustin Harper

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

propman[_2_] May 24th 08 11:38 PM

Dustin Harper wrote:
Did you remove the heatsink to clean the fan? If so, you may check to
make sure it is seated against the CPU perfect, as well as put a new
layer of thermal grease on it, too. The P4's slow down when they get too
hot, and after cleaning the fan, it sounds like that may be the problem.

or the power to the fan is not connected......

Rick Rogers May 25th 08 01:51 AM

vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.

Were that the case either the motherboard would detect the processor
overheating and shut down the system, or processor would fry rather quickly.

I'd recheck for any loose cabling or memory that was jarred during the
cleaning.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Dustin Harper May 25th 08 06:09 PM

vista is horribly slow today after cleaning my cpu fan.

The P4's have a thermal protection scheme. The slow down to prevent the
frying of the processors. They will run, but very slow. The heatsink may be
just enough to keep it from shutting down, but not enough to keep it cool.