How to disable Open File - Security Warning dialog box in Windows Vista?

Old May 24th 08, 06:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
David Ocampo

Default How to disable Open File - Security Warning dialog box in Windows Vista?

Dear Windows Vista Community,

Every time I want to open a .url file using the customized Links menu on the
deskbar (channel bar), I get a dialog box with a security
warning message "Do you want to open this file?" How do I disable this
security warning dialog box from popping up? I am confident my Avast! virus
definitions will detect and intercept any virus or spyware attached to any
url before the file is opened, so I really don't need this feature, it is
annoying. Thanks for any help you can provide as to Vista security
settings!

Kind regards,
David

Old May 24th 08, 11:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters

"David Ocampo" wrote in message
Dear Windows Vista Community,

Every time I want to open a .url file using the customized Links menu on
the deskbar (channel bar), I get a dialog box with a security
warning message "Do you want to open this file?"

Yeah, that's to make sure the user really meant to ask the
OS to take an action. Kind of like a gun that asks you if
you really want to fire a bullet after you pull the trigger.

It's a safety feature.

How do I disable this security warning dialog box from popping up?

Why would you want to? Just to rid yourself of a minor
annoyance?

I am confident my Avast! virus definitions will detect and intercept any
virus or spyware attached to any url before the file is opened, so I
really
don't need this feature, it is annoying.

Relying on AV in this way is doomed to failure. AV and other anti
programs are meant to supplement good computing practices, not
as a substitute for them.

Thanks for any help you can provide as to Vista security settings!

Sorry I'm not being helpful, but I hope in some small way this does
indeed help - though not the way you might have expected.

Old May 25th 08, 04:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
David Ocampo

Thanks for the explanation, I kind of figured that it was to protect the
user's system, but I still would like to know how to disable this security
feature in Vista. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Old May 25th 08, 06:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mariah Kaze

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

[...]

This is a crock! When I need help, I'll ask for it. I HATE windows Vista
and am going to install Windows XP over it if someone can't tell me how to
turn all the Frakin security OFF!

Void the warrenty on a junk computer?? Who cares?

MKwho does NOT need a babysitter, thank you very much
Old May 25th 08, 12:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters

"Mariah Kaze" wrote in message

"FromTheRafters" wrote:

[...]

If it prevents you from completing an action, then that is one
thing, but an extra click is really no big deal. People accept
that the "delete" action takes an extra click and yet object
when the more dangerous action to execute code is invoked.

You are not alone, and many have decided to disable UAC
because of the annoyance factor. Google results should show
many places with 'how to' information.

Old October 2nd 08, 08:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
BlahBuds

So...I decided to make an account on this forum JUST because I hate it
when people like "Fromtherafters" act all cocky and give people crap
answers to legit questions...sigh

Anyways

So David. I happen to be looking for an answer to the same problem. I
know what I'm doing when I double click a file and I also find it
annoying to be asked if I actually want to proceed. Both Vista and XP
both give annoying security halts on multiple actions. One way to fix
this in Vista is by turning UAC (User Account Control) That is if you
haven't already...I hope you have. But, you will still get a security
prompt when trying to open ANY .exe file you might download. And that's
what I wanted to turn off as well. So, here are some links for doing
that. Both for IE and for windows in general. Hope they help. They did
for me..... Rafters should post his attitude somewhere else.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/59...warning-dialog

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555599

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com...y-warning.html

--
BlahBuds
BlahBuds's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/blahbuds.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Old October 2nd 08, 08:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
BlahBuds[_2_]

Oh and delete doesn't have take an extra action...I'm assuming Rafters
is referring to having to empty the recycle bin before a file is really
deleted. You can bypass the recycle as well by hold SHIFT before hitting
the delete button in Vista. In XP this also works, and you don't have to
confirm the delete command when Shift is applied. Cheers....

Old October 2nd 08, 08:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
DDW[_2_]

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 13:36:57 +0530, BlahBuds
wrote:

So...I decided to make an account on this forum JUST because I hate it
when people like "Fromtherafters" act all cocky and give people crap
answers to legit questions...sigh

GUESS WHAT???

Look around that "forum" and see all the users whose number of posts
say "n/a". Lots of 'em, hmm?

"Fromtherafters" is one of 'em.

You are being followed...LOL.

DDW
No email please
Old October 2nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
FromTheRafters[_2_]

wrote:

So...I decided to make an account on this forum JUST because I hate it
when people like "Fromtherafters" act all cocky and give people crap
answers to legit questions...sigh

GUESS WHAT???

Look around that "forum" and see all the users whose number of posts
say "n/a". Lots of 'em, hmm?

"Fromtherafters" is one of 'em.

You are being followed...LOL.

Please keep idiots like Fromthereafters from posting in this forum.

Thanx in advance for your cooperation.