Help me….my hard disk is damaged!!!

Old May 26th 08, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
rodger212

Default Help me….my hard disk is damaged!!!

Hi everyone , I am employed as a manager in a firm. I have a problem
that I had like to talk about. My system was working fine the other day,
but while copying a file by nero….the system hanged and I had to restart
it. But I got a disk boot failure error. Then , I tried to run a windows
xp installation CD, but that is also showing some error message during
installation and the installation fails.I did check the bios settings
and the disk fails to show…and had it checked on another system also…but
bios cannot detect the hard disk.I think the disk is damaged or
something like that.The disk has important data from my company’s point
of view…..that I need to recover.
Please let me know if there are any ways to get my data back from
this disk!!!!

--
rodger212
Old May 26th 08, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

On Sun, 25 May 2008 23:04:54 -0500, rodger212
wrote:

that I had like to talk about. My system was working fine the other day,
but while copying a file by nero….the system hanged and I had to restart
it. But I got a disk boot failure error. Then , I tried to run a windows
xp installation CD, but that is also showing some error message during
installation and the installation fails.I did check the bios settings
and the disk fails to show…and had it checked on another system also…but
bios cannot detect the hard disk.I think the disk is damaged or
something like that.The disk has important data from my company’s point
of view…..that I need to recover.
Please let me know if there are any ways to get my data back from
this disk!!!!

Doesn't sound like it. At least not by normal means. Since two
different systems can't see the disk, it's no doubt dead.

It's possible that some company out there might be able handle the job
- and that would charge a horrendous price to do it.
Old May 26th 08, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Can you mount the drive in an external enclosure and use another computer
and some recovery software like OnTrack's to recover the data? You need to
quit trying to access the drive until you can attempt the recovery.
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/d...very-software/

Old May 26th 08, 09:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mick Murphy

Google it, and download a Knoppix Live CD. It is a compressed 2Gig, down to
700 MBs, and is an ISO Image.

Burn it, and make a bootable CD. Reboot with it.
It does not install on your Hard drive, but runs from CD, using your RAM and
Graphics.
It can find DATA on your HD; copy DATA to a flash drive.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old May 26th 08, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

If there is essential data on there that must be recovered, the first thing
to do is heed the following advice:

QUIT PICKING AT IT, YOU WILL ONLY MAKE IT WORSE!

Any attempt to recover data from the drive could wind up permanently making
it unrecoverable by any means including professional recovery. It may
already be too late since you've already tried to install and write data to
the disc.

A professional drive recovery service may be able to recover the data but it
will be very expensive and will take some time. Google "hard drive
recovery" for a number of companies that offer this service.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old May 26th 08, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DL

A business with no backup stratergy in place!?
The business is likely to fail after such a failure/loss of data

Old May 26th 08, 01:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
propman[_2_]

rodger212 wrote:
Hi everyone , I am employed as a manager in a firm. I have a problem
that I had like to talk about. My system was working fine the other day,
but while copying a file by nero….the system hanged and I had to restart
it. But I got a disk boot failure error. Then , I tried to run a windows
xp installation CD, but that is also showing some error message during
installation and the installation fails.I did check the bios settings
and the disk fails to show…and had it checked on another system also…but
bios cannot detect the hard disk.I think the disk is damaged or
something like that.The disk has important data from my company’s point
of view…..that I need to recover.
Please let me know if there are any ways to get my data back from
this disk!!!!

Check the manufacturer of your hard drive's web site....some companies
provide a low-level test program you can download.

Old May 26th 08, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Low level test programs are usually destructive of data on the drive. The
OP needs to recover data, not test the drive. He already knows the drive is
defective. He needs recovery ideas at this point.

Old May 26th 08, 05:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
propman[_2_]

Low level as in "checking out the integrity of the drive" not low level
as "reformatting the drive".....the test programs from the hard drive
manufacturers perform non-destructive testing. Low level testing and
low level formating are two different issues. :-)

Old May 26th 08, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SCSIraidGURU

On-Track is the best at data recovery. It can be $1000+. I would try
putting the drive in another computer as a slave. See if you can access
the data. Don't low level test it. It can delete data if you don't
know how to do it non-destructive. I would try error checking the drive
or see if Acronis can image the files to a new drive.

--
SCSIraidGURU

Michael A. McKenney
'www.SCSIraidGURU.com' (http://www.SCSIraidGURU.com)

Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
16GB DDR667
SAS RAID
eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card