Vista only Recognizes one of my 3 harddrives... help?

Old May 27th 08, 03:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
abshero

Default Vista only Recognizes one of my 3 harddrives... help?

Hi,

I just installed Window's Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my new build. I have 3
harddrives installed (2 150gb and 1 640 gb). My BIOS reads all 3, but when
vista is booted, I only have a C: drive available (one of my 150 gb). None
of my drives are in a Raid array.

Can anyone inform me how to get vista to recognize the other 2 drives?

Thanks in advance.

Old May 27th 08, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

abshero wrote:

Hi,

I just installed Window's Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my new build. I have 3
harddrives installed (2 150gb and 1 640 gb). My BIOS reads all 3, but
when
vista is booted, I only have a C: drive available (one of my 150 gb).
None of my drives are in a Raid array.

Can anyone inform me how to get vista to recognize the other 2 drives?

Are the missing drives partitioned and formatted? Do they show up in
Administrative ToolsComputer ManagerDisk Management?

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers
Old May 27th 08, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
abshero

Yes, both drives are appearing in disk management.

They are classified as Unallocated though.
Old May 27th 08, 05:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

If you can see them in disk management you should be able to format them so
they can be seen and used normally in Vista.

Old May 27th 08, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Donald L McDaniel[_4_]

On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:24:02 -0700, abshero
wrote:

Yes, both drives are appearing in disk management.

They are classified as Unallocated though.

If they are classified as unallocated, you must put a file system on
them before they will be visible in Windows Explorer.

This means that they must be initialized (formatted) by Windows (you).

Just make sure they are partitioned and formatted first.
(There must be at least a one formatted partition on each drive before
they will be visible to Explorer.)

Additionally, if they are already partitioned and formatted with a
non-windows format (ext, ext3, Reiser, etc), they will not be visible
in Windows.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
Old May 28th 08, 05:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Assuming that these are new drives, use Disk Mananger to initialize them
(assign a drive letter) and then you can format them either from DM or with
Explorer.