DVD/CD-Rom missing

Old May 29th 08, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
A J M Nunes da Silva

Default DVD/CD-Rom missing

With my PC I do have 2 internal DVD/CD-ROM and another external via USB.

All 3 disappeared from "My Computer" and from "Disc Manager" and I am now
unable to use anyone of them.

But in "Device Manager" they are shown with a yellow mark and a "!". If I
uninstall anyone of them and reboot it will appear again in "Device Manager"
with that mark.

If I try to update its controller the Windows search Internet and a message
says that best controller for it is already installed. But it is still not
appearing in My Computer.

All other hardware and programs are working OK including external storage,
printer, and scanner.

I do have Windows Vista Ultimate.

I will be grateful if anyone helps me.

Nunes da Silva

Old May 29th 08, 10:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

Follow the resolution steps he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Old May 30th 08, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ania Pankiewicz

Hello Rick

I have the same problem and tried the solution you suggested before. It
fixed the problem but for a short time. Now again I still can't use my
internal CDR-DVD drive. It's there in device manager but when any kind of
disk inserted nothing happens!!!
Can anyone help please!

Many thanks in advance

Old May 31st 08, 10:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Hi,

If it worked before, then do it again. The problem is that some software
installed on your system is corrupting these entries. Likely it's some
software that uses or can use the optical drives. It's replacing the filter
drivers with its own version.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ania Pankiewicz" Ania wrote in
message ...

Old May 31st 08, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ania Pankiewicz[_2_]

Hello Rcik

I tried it again yesterday night. The lower filter was back but deleting it
didn't help the matter...

Thanks anyway
Ania

Old June 5th 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jctichenor

I tried the fix suggested. It shows up in my device manger now but I still
cannot use the burner to burn disk. It says no CD/DVD burner found.

Old June 6th 08, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

If the drive is missing then google a fix: cdgone (can use the xp one,
worked on mine). Then run the registry patch. Restart the system. And
the drive would be back. As far as the issue for the cd drive not
getting detected. Please mention what is the cd/dvd burning application
you are using. Because patches are available. If it is drag to disc:
*'Roxio Patch' (http://docs.roxio.com/patches/d2d3290.exe).
*If the drive is not getting detected in roxio then use:
'http://images.roxio.com/en/support/pxengine3_00_58a.zip'
(http://images.roxio.com/en/support/pxengine3_00_58a.zip)

Hope This Helps ! ! ! ! :geek:

--
tanuj_chadha
Old June 8th 08, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
p5tt12

i have exact same problem but it occurred after installing trend security
2008. i am running xp professional with sp3 is the fix the same for xp can
i get something from internet penicilin to fix it.

Old June 11th 08, 10:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tanuj_chadha[_8_]

YES the fix is for XP but works fine on vista as well. You try the
website 'Welcome To Gur.in Your Complete Windows Troubleshooting Guide'
(http://www.gur.in)
go to the registry tweaks section & download the cdgone patch. then
restart the system. And the system should work fine

Hope This Helps ! ! ! ! :geek:

--
tanuj_chadha