Vista SP1 removed the Search shortcut from the Start Panel

Old May 30th 08, 08:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Donald L McDaniel[_4_]

Default Vista SP1 removed the Search shortcut from the Start Panel

On Thu, 29 May 2008 22:22:21 +0100, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Calm down. They HAD to remove it so that there is a level playing field for
other search software providers.

I don't really believe this is true, Steve. I don't believe Microsoft
has been "required" to do this by any judicial body anywhere. Maybe
in the EU. But not in the U.S.

And, actually, they didn't "remove it". They did the SAME thing with
it they did in XP: They hid it from view until the Start Menu is
configured by the user.

Yes, friend: XP ALSO hides it from view in an out-of-the-box install,
until the user configures the Start menu.

ONLY ONE THING has CHANGED about the Search command in Vista: The
command has been EXPANDED.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.
Old May 31st 08, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave

SUPERFIX: Take ownership of "explorer.exe" in the windows folder
of vista with sp1 and rename to "explorerx.exe". Copy an original version of
"explorer.exe" from a non-sp1 installation to your sp1 windows folder where
you renamed "explorer.exe" to "explorerx.exe" to restore the search button
and keep all buttons on the start menu.
Old June 6th 08, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Donald L McDaniel[_5_]

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:08:00 -0700, Dave
wrote:

SUPERFIX: Take ownership of "explorer.exe" in the windows folder
of vista with sp1 and rename to "explorerx.exe". Copy an original version of
"explorer.exe" from a non-sp1 installation to your sp1 windows folder where
you renamed "explorer.exe" to "explorerx.exe" to restore the search button
and keep all buttons on the start menu.

Dave, I wouldn't call that a "superfix". I would call it a
"hatchet-job".

Leave your OS alone, and use its internal commands and options.

Donald L McDaniel
Old June 7th 08, 08:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dave

Hi Donald !

If you don't like my idea please don't use it ! I only posted it for people
who missed the search link and did not want to lose other buttons. I took the
time to share my knowledge of computers to benefit others. This procedure is
easy and requires no registry modification. It does not reduce the
preformance of the os in any way since explorer.exe scripts and internal
commands will be the same thus having no undesired affects. The only
difference between the old and new explorer file is the search link and this
is due to Google's anti-trust suit against Microsoft. This simple and easy
fix is completely safe and I never post an idea unless I have thoroughly
tested it my self. Try this to retain the full functionality of you Vista
W/SP1. You will be amazed at the result !