HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?

Old May 31st 08, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Default HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?

Colin,
You are awsome man! I greatly appreciate your help.
I have a good understanding of what I need now.
I'm not too keen on buying products online.
Hopefully I can find what I am looking for at a retail store.
I searched Bestbuy, but didn't see exactly what I need.
I am going to go to a few computer stores today and see if someone
carries what I need. If not, then I may have to by this
online.... If it comes down to that, what online store would
you recomend, and have you had any problems with these companies.
Thanks again Colin!
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Yes. Here are some examples: (They list Vista compatibility. A lot of
others do not.)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...page=3&bop=And

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.

"Jason" wrote in message
Thanks Colin,
I will look it up tomorrow morning.
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

Look up your model on the internet. You should be able to find the
specs.

"Jason" wrote in message
I am unsure if I have an expresscard. My slots say: SD/MMC/MS/XD...
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this issue Colin.
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

No. If you have an ExpressCard or PCMCIA slot you can buy a two
port
fireware card from many sources.
See:
http://www.firewire-1394.com/cards-f...ok-cardbus.htm

"Jason" wrote in message
Is it difficult to add a 1394 port to laptop?

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

That is what I am saying and yes he should check his setup sheet
since
that
is where he should see an explanation of all the buttons and
ports.
You
know, the one with all views of the computer (sides, top,
bottom).

"Curious" wrote in message
Colin,
Are you saying hat most of the current generation of Laptops
have
Firewire
ports so the OP's laptop may have one. If yes then Jason
needs
consult
his Laptops user manual for details.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
There is an article with an excellent picture of a firewire
port
and
cable he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

You do not say anything about your computer so no one can say
if
you
even
have a firewire port. Almost all recent computers do,
however.

"Jason" wrote in message
I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio
Ultimate
edit
my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop
using
USB,
but
the
software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use
Firewire
or
1394
port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and
computer
do
not
recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've
used
it
for
my
TV.
I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has
on?
I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my
computer
recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using
Windows
Vista.

Old May 31st 08, 05:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Don't forget to make sure you get a cable too.

I recommend NewEgg. A lot of folks do. Excellent service and return
policy. They are a big outfit and known by many to have excellent prices.
I would not hesitate dealing with them if you need to order online. That's
assuming that you are in North America.

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.

Old May 31st 08, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

I couldn't find what I was looking for. So I will order the part on NEWEGG...
However, My camcorder does not have a connection for firewire... I don't
think.
It has: HDMI, component, usb.... Will firewire work with either of these? If
not,
I am screwed!

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.

Old June 1st 08, 01:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

What is the camera? I don't think you ever said. If it is Sony the
firewire port is called "iLink."

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.

Old June 1st 08, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

I took the camera back. All the cameras that Bestbuy has do not offer the
firewire capability. I am going to get a more professional camera.
As far as my ExpressCard/54, is there anything that I should look out for?
For example: some transfer at 400mb/s and others 800mb/s... does it matter
which I buy, and will the camera I get have issues with either of these?
One more thing, I tried to restore my computer to an earlier state, and when
I tried, it gave me a message saying that I have errors on my C:/. When I
went into my C:/, I told it to check for errors and repair them. It said that
it could not do this while C:/ is in use. It asked if I wanted to schedule
this next time I start my computer. I said yes several times, and yet nothing
gets fixed. Any recommendations? Im using Windows Vista.

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.

Old June 1st 08, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

The 800 cards are backwards compatible with the slower speeds so it should
not matter as long as the card supports the transfer rate offered by the
camcorder. Most camcorders probably support at least 400. 800 would only
be supported by Vista SP1.

You probably should start a new thread regarding the C: drive errors. When
you do give the make, model, and specs of the computer, as well as the
edition of Vista and whether 32bit or 64bit.

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.

Old June 1st 08, 12:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Thanks Colin

"Jason" wrote in message
I checked out the specs. My computer is Gateway P-6822.
It says I have expansion slot : ExpressCard/54
So this means I can get my firewire???
Also, Is this a card that slides into the side of my laptop, or
must I place it "inside"?
Jason

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

You're welcome and good luck.