HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?

Old May 29th 08, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Default HD Camcorder - HDMI port on Laptop ?

I recently bought a HD Camcorder. I bought Pinnacle Studio Ultimate to edit
my film. I am able to connect my camcorder to my laptop using USB, but the
software doesn't recognize my camera. It says I need to use Firewire or 1394
port. When I hook my camera up with HDMI, the camera and computer do not
recognize each other. I know the HDMI works, because I've used it for my TV.
I am not sure what the Firewire port is, or if my laptop has on?
I much rather use my HDMI port. Is there a way I can get my computer to
recognize devices hooked up through HDMI ? I am using Windows Vista.

Old May 30th 08, 12:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

There is an article with an excellent picture of a firewire port and cable
he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

You do not say anything about your computer so no one can say if you even
have a firewire port. Almost all recent computers do, however.

Old May 30th 08, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Colin,
Are you saying hat most of the current generation of Laptops have Firewire
ports so the OP's laptop may have one. If yes then Jason needs to consult
his Laptops user manual for details.

Old May 30th 08, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

That is what I am saying and yes he should check his setup sheet since that
is where he should see an explanation of all the buttons and ports. You
know, the one with all views of the computer (sides, top, bottom).

Old May 30th 08, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

The HDMI port on your computer is an OUT port, not an IN port. Just as you
cannot connect an HDMI cable from one DVD player to another, you cannot hook
your camera up to the computer using this port.

As others have suggested, you need to check your computer/manual/support
site to see if you have a firewire port to connect the camera to.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old May 30th 08, 12:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Thanks everyone for replying to my question. I gave all of you a (yes)
helpful feedback. Ok. My computer does not have a firewire port. Thanks for
clearing up that my HDMI port on my laptop does not recieve.
I do have a SD disk space on my laptop, and my camera takes one too. Maybe
that will work, sense the USB will not.....

Old May 30th 08, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

No. If you have an ExpressCard or PCMCIA slot you can buy a two port
fireware card from many sources.
See: http://www.firewire-1394.com/cards-f...ok-cardbus.htm