S3 Resume hard drives dissapear

Old May 30th 08, 10:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
agent86oz

Default S3 Resume hard drives dissapear

This is probably a coincidence but since SP1 about a month ago S3 resume
occationaly a drive will dissapear with huge event log.

::I have 3 SATA drives Gigabyte P35-DS4. Intermittently the 2nd and 3rd
drive disappear random from windows but not at the same time with an
event log showing drive has dissappeard from the system without being
prepared for removal. If I reboot the drive that disappeared returns and
as long as S3 sleep is not activated no event log or drives
dissapearing. It only happens every few days then rested for a week and
now back again and it is not something you want to see on your data
drive.::

::The boot drive has no problems, resuming is fast and I only have to
hit the spacebar on the keyboard.::

::As far as I can tell from searching this can be caused by ::

::1.:: :rive SATA cables (Swapped and still faults)::
::2.:: :rive power connection (checked and firm fit)::
::3.:: :rives faulty (Unlikely as they only just started fault
and the chance of two different drives failing on the same day would be
remote)::
::4.:: ::Motherboard Faulty::

::I have read of this problem with SP1 with no conclusive results or
answer using Google but again a handfull of reports when SP1 came out is
very likely to be a coincidence. ::

::I guess it could be the power supply but you would think Drive C
would fail in that case also.::

::I have run disk utilities on the drives including spinrite 6 '**Home
of Gibson Research Corporation**' (http://www.grc.com) and no issues.::

::If you go into computer management and Storage you can see the drive
has disappeared also but strangely even though I have double checked the
SATA cables drive 0 = my second drive and Drive 1 = My first drive
(boot) and the third drive shows correctly as Drive 2::

::From event Log errors in order oldest to newest al withing a couple
of seconds. This is the lattest info.::

::Event ID 12 PlugPlayManager::
the device 'st3200822as ata device'
(ide\diskst3200822as_____________________________3 .01____\5&1702e97&0&1.0.0)
disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

7 of these identical events.
Event ID 15 Disk
the device, \device\harddisk2\dr2, is not ready for access yet.

over 2000 identical events spanning 2 seconds
event id 51 disk
an error was detected on device \device\harddisk2\dr2 during a paging
operation.

4 of these identical events
event id 57 volmgr
the system failed to flush data to the transaction log. corruption may
occur.

event id 9 volsnap
the flush and hold writes operation on volume d: timed out while
waiting for file system cleanup

any clues?

thanks

--