Vista SP1 and USB drive - Computer not responding

Old June 1st 08, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom[_15_]

Default Vista SP1 and USB drive - Computer not responding

When I connect a USB drive (SATA, 120GB) to a Vista Home Premium
system (SP1), and Computer is selected, the Computer window says [not
responding], as does the Management Console. Only when the drive is
turned off, do Computer and Management Console function properly.

The Vista system is running on an HP slimline desktop with an AMD
Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor, running the 32-bit OS, and using a
high speed USB 2.0 enclosure (# ECS-STU35) with the Vista's USB
drivers.

BTW, the same USB drive mounts and its contents are accessible when
attached to an XP Pro (SP2) system.

Old June 22nd 08, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cathode Follower[_2_]

I have got exactly the same symptoms with a Dell Dimension 9200 and a Philips
spd100cc/00. This external usb drive also works perfectly well with Windows
XP on a Dell Inspiron.

Old June 22nd 08, 03:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pavel A.

Perhaps the disk does not receive enough power from usb.
Can you try an external power supply, or Y cable?

--PA

"Cathode Follower" wrote in
message ...

Old June 22nd 08, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Is the drive formatted in NTFS or Fat32 format?
"Cathode Follower" wrote in
message ...

Old June 23rd 08, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Claudio60

I have the same problem.
MB: Asus P5W64 PROF
CPU: Intel Core2Quad
RAM: 4GB
SysOP: WinVista.Ult.x64 SP1

After installing SP1 USB device non work correctly.
This when i connect USB.HD.Ext.Drive.Verbatim.500GB or USB.Memory.Stick
(128MB, 1Gb, 2GB) or Printer.Canon.MP970 (via USB port).

USB.Ext.Drive and Printer have an external power supply.

USB.Ext.Drive work properly with other pc (WinXP.PRO.SP3)

Thanx.

(Excuse me for my bad english...)