How do I print on USB printer on another computer?

Old June 1st 08, 09:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

Default How do I print on USB printer on another computer?

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 13:51:00 -0700, Mick Murphy
wrote:

In vista, go to Network and sharing.

First thing I see is that 'Printer Sharing' is marked as ON but
requiring a password. No idea why that would be. I don't use a
password since I am the only user. I wonder if this is my problem?

Click on Add Network Device

I don't see 'Add Network Device'.
I do see 'View computers and devices'. I selected it.
It showed my XP machine on which I selected the R320.
I got the same error as before - namely that I have to install the
R320 drives on the VISTA machine (which I had done a while ago).

Browse until you find XP's Printer; don't just add a Vista printer!
The wizard will either add your Driver or find one!
As long as you have your Network set up properly, it should work.

Nope
Old June 1st 08, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 14:29:12 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

I have a Stylus Photo R300 connected to my Vista machine shared and
accessible from an XP laptop. It works. To try to duplicate your error I
connected the printer USB cable to my laptop, had to get the CD to install
the printer. Did so. Shared it. Connected to it from the Vista machine as we
have discussed, the window said I had to install drivers as you said. I
clicked the install drivers button. It used drivers already on the machine
with no intervention from me. Next the print test page window popped up. I
printed the test page. All is well and no error. I am unable to duplicate
your error.

BTW the (M) is present on my Vista machine printer title also.

Good! I am glad you get the '(M)' also. Now I won't worry about it.
I'll try a uninstall of the R320 now on the VISTA machine and then try
to repeat what you did.

Thanks

-GECKO
Old June 1st 08, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Patrick C

I was having a similar problem and found the following doing a Google
search:

"I had the same problem. I found a solution. Logically it makes no sense to
me, but it worked so...

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the
drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the
\\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the
printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty."

It helped me.

Old June 1st 08, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

wrote:

I have a Stylus Photo R300 connected to my Vista machine shared and
accessible from an XP laptop. It works. To try to duplicate your error I
connected the printer USB cable to my laptop, had to get the CD to install
the printer. Did so. Shared it. Connected to it from the Vista machine as we
have discussed, the window said I had to install drivers as you said. I
clicked the install drivers button. It used drivers already on the machine
with no intervention from me. Next the print test page window popped up. I
printed the test page. All is well and no error. I am unable to duplicate
your error.

Well, I did as I said. Got same result. Dang!

-GECKO
Old June 2nd 08, 03:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

"gecko" wrote in message

Well, I did as I said. Got same result. Dang!

-GECKO

Dang! This thread is so long and so many 's. My suggest is, from Vista
remove the Epson software using it's uninstall or through the control panel
'Programs and Features', not just remove the printer(s). All traces must be
gone. No Epson service or process running. Use Task manager description
field to verify (right now I have an Epson service and process running). You
should have none. If you do have, restart. Install the downloaded total
Vista software package. Then plug in the printer. Print a test page. Then
unplug the printer from Vista. Restart. The Epson software and local printer
are still installed. Plug the printer into XP, making sure it is shared and
appears in the network shares under the XP's icon of your now rebooted
Vista. Then add the network printer using the Vista printer wizard.

If you did all that already, oh well. No point in doing it again. Check
program problem reports and event viewer to narrow down the actual
application failing.

Old June 2nd 08, 09:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 20:01:21 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

[...]

I think it is time to end this thread. It indeed is getting too long.
Sorry.

As I researched all this, I am finding that first of all the
distributed CD for the R320 printer drivers as well as PrintCD are not
acceptable in Vista. Second of all, I find that others have had
problems using the R320 under Vista. In fact, it looks to me like
PrintCD is not even usable under Vista. I have not read that anyone
has successfully networked the R320 between Vista & XP. Would that I
did!

I have downloaded the recommended R320 printer driver for Vista, and
can at least print on the R320 directly from Vista when I connect said
printer directly to the Vista machine's USB. But that's where my
success stops, as I tried to describe before.

I intend to plug away at this for a day or two, and then I will drop
it and get a life. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all helps.
-GECKO
Old June 2nd 08, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alan Morris [MSFT]

The XP machine is 32 bit I assume. Is the Vista machine the same
architecture, 32bit?

Since the driver names do not match, you cannot make a true connection. You
will either need to install a Vista driver onto the XP machine or create a
local printer targeting a Local Port in the name \\XPmachine\Printsharename

If the Vista machine is 64bit the Local Port method is the easiest way.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

Old June 2nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

PrintCD works under vista for me but in my setup the printer is local to
Vista, shared to XP and I don't try PrintCD printing to a shared
printer-asking for problems. I was never referring to THAT software in our
discussion. The CD should not have been your source for drivers. My CD has
no Vista drivers on it and that CD has never been in my machine once it was
upgraded to Vista. It's odd to me that my R300 works and your R320 doesn't.
I think it is software problem : The Cardmonitor is a drive in Computer
through the USB hub that is also installed. Complexity. Anyway, good luck.

Old June 2nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 10:33:52 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

PrintCD works under vista for me but in my setup the printer is local to
Vista, shared to XP and I don't try PrintCD printing to a shared
printer-asking for problems. I was never referring to THAT software in our
discussion. The CD should not have been your source for drivers. My CD has
no Vista drivers on it and that CD has never been in my machine once it was
upgraded to Vista. It's odd to me that my R300 works and your R320 doesn't.
I think it is software problem : The Cardmonitor is a drive in Computer
through the USB hub that is also installed. Complexity. Anyway, good luck.

From my readings, there probably is no VISTA version of PrintCD.
Several people have indicated displeasure over that. As will I. I
like that program. I can still use it under XP of course.

Thanks for helps.

-GECKO
Old June 2nd 08, 11:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

wrote:

PrintCD works under vista for me but in my setup the printer is local to
Vista, shared to XP and I don't try PrintCD printing to a shared
printer-asking for problems. I was never referring to THAT software in our
discussion. The CD should not have been your source for drivers. My CD has
no Vista drivers on it and that CD has never been in my machine once it was
upgraded to Vista. It's odd to me that my R300 works and your R320 doesn't.
I think it is software problem : The Cardmonitor is a drive in Computer
through the USB hub that is also installed. Complexity. Anyway, good luck.

And so, how did you install Epson PrintCD under Vista? When I tried
it, it said the OS (Vista) was not supported. I have it installed
under XP and it works fine, but of course I have no way to link to it
from Vista, or to execute it directly under Vista either. I don't
think I do anyway. IOW, PrintCD simply will not install under Vista
(for me).
What I am saying is this. If I had the R320 connected to the Vista
machine's USB, I have no way to install the PrintCD software there. My
Epson install CD simply is not usable on Vista. I see no download on
the web for a version acceptable under Vista. I read some statements
on the web that PrintCD is not runnable on Vista, which upset the
writer of said statement.

Thanks

-GECKO