How do I print on USB printer on another computer?

Old June 3rd 08, 12:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

Default How do I print on USB printer on another computer?

Because it was installed when my machine was XP, after the upgrade to Vista
it was still there and working. So I can tell you that it does work under
Vista. I did not have to install however. Even the twain support for
inserting scans directly from the scanner works, so it is well integrated
with the operating system's other components. So, I found an example of
where there is an advantage to upgrade without a clean install. Ha ha ha.

I would attempt to install it manually by navigating to the E:\Titles\EPSON
Print CD\English sub folder, bypassing all the other startup install stuff.
There is an install executable (setup.exe) there for just PrintCD in that
folder. Cross your fingers and go for it. I note after a visit to the
website that Vista has the drivers for our machines without the need for
downloading anything. And this:

If your Epson CD does not indicate support for Windows Vista, DO NOT INSERT
YOUR EPSON PRODUCT SOFTWARE CD IN YOUR WINDOWS VISTA COMPUTER because the
setup program is not compatible with Windows Vista. Instructions for
installing additional software from your CD may be available with your
driver download.

I couldn't find any instructions for installing other software. Use explorer
to navigate to the folder don't let autorun run. I'm crossing my fingers
too. Print CD is the whole reason I bought this printer. If I was unable to
use that, I'd toss it and buy another one. Oh now that I'm thinking about
it, there is one thing that is different under Vista that has to be done to
get it to print disks correctly. If you get it installed, come back here and
I'll tell you. Otherwise, why bother?

"gecko" wrote in message

And so, how did you install Epson PrintCD under Vista? When I tried
it, it said the OS (Vista) was not supported. I have it installed
under XP and it works fine, but of course I have no way to link to it
from Vista, or to execute it directly under Vista either. I don't
think I do anyway. IOW, PrintCD simply will not install under Vista
(for me).
What I am saying is this. If I had the R320 connected to the Vista
machine's USB, I have no way to install the PrintCD software there. My
Epson install CD simply is not usable on Vista. I see no download on
the web for a version acceptable under Vista. I read some statements
on the web that PrintCD is not runnable on Vista, which upset the
writer of said statement.

Thanks

-GECKO

Old June 3rd 08, 09:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 17:31:15 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

Because it was installed when my machine was XP, after the upgrade to Vista
it was still there and working. So I can tell you that it does work under
Vista. I did not have to install however. Even the twain support for
inserting scans directly from the scanner works, so it is well integrated
with the operating system's other components. So, I found an example of
where there is an advantage to upgrade without a clean install. Ha ha ha.

I would attempt to install it manually by navigating to the E:\Titles\EPSON
Print CD\English sub folder, bypassing all the other startup install stuff.
There is an install executable (setup.exe) there for just PrintCD in that
folder. Cross your fingers and go for it.

Titles\Epson Print CD\setup.exe installed the program on my Vista
fine. Note there was no 'English' in the path on my install CD. It
seems to allow label design okay, but printing on a disk in the R320
caused this error:

THE EPSON PRINTER DRIVER DEALING WITH CD PRINTING IS NOT INSTALLED

Since I have the R320 printing paper fine, obviously I need to install
still another driver(s). Yours may have been present since you did an
upgrade and the drivers were retained from XP. Now I have to look for
the CD-printing driver. Any idea?

I note after a visit to the
website that Vista has the drivers for our machines without the need for
downloading anything.

One driver seems to have worked for me for printing paper. I did not
see a driver specifically for PrintCD. I'll look again.

And this:

If your Epson CD does not indicate support for Windows Vista, DO NOT INSERT
YOUR EPSON PRODUCT SOFTWARE CD IN YOUR WINDOWS VISTA COMPUTER because the
setup program is not compatible with Windows Vista. Instructions for
installing additional software from your CD may be available with your
driver download.

Yeah - I saw this caveat.

I couldn't find any instructions for installing other software. Use explorer
to navigate to the folder don't let autorun run. I'm crossing my fingers
too. Print CD is the whole reason I bought this printer. If I was unable to
use that, I'd toss it and buy another one.

I agree 100%.

Oh now that I'm thinking about
it, there is one thing that is different under Vista that has to be done to
get it to print disks correctly. If you get it installed, come back here and
I'll tell you. Otherwise, why bother?

Please tell me.

I appreciate your help.
Thanks

-GECKO
Old June 3rd 08, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea however, maybe I do. Do you have the status monitor running?
It is E_S00RP1.EXE under processes in Task manager and EPSON status manager
is in the description field. It looks old to me and it runs as a service. If
you don't have it maybe I can give you the registry setting that loads it.
If it is running (big shrug). Maybe you can examine your XP machine when
doing CD print and find something. I have two DVDs to print today so I'll
keep my eyes open and maybe taskmanager and see what loads if I can catch
it.

As to the settings in Vista that have to be changed, I noticed in XP they
were defaults, not so in Vista. Printer settings: Tray 2 Properties: source
manual--type cd/dvd--size A4.

Old June 3rd 08, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:14:49 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

As to the settings in Vista that have to be changed, I noticed in XP they
were defaults, not so in Vista. Printer settings: Tray 2 Properties: source
manual--type cd/dvd--size A4.

I am forced to ask (out of dumbness I guess) - where do you find the
Vista 'printer settings' that show 'source manual--type cd/dvd--size
A4' or whatever?

Thanks
-GECKO
Old June 3rd 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

wrote:

I have no idea however, maybe I do. Do you have the status monitor running?
It is E_S00RP1.EXE under processes in Task manager and EPSON status manager
is in the description field. It looks old to me and it runs as a service. If
you don't have it maybe I can give you the registry setting that loads it.
If it is running (big shrug). Maybe you can examine your XP machine when
doing CD print and find something. I have two DVDs to print today so I'll
keep my eyes open and maybe taskmanager and see what loads if I can catch
it.

On the XP machine, I find two entries E_s00rp1.exe under
windows\system32\spool drivers\w32x86 (in two places).
Nothing on the Vista machine, except I do see E_s00rp1.ex_
underc:\stylusphotor320\. It would appear that the latter needs to be
'installed'. Now I'll have to find the .exe to do that maybe.

-GECKO
Old June 3rd 08, 08:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

"gecko" wrote in message

On the XP machine, I find two entries E_s00rp1.exe under
windows\system32\spool drivers\w32x86 (in two places).
Nothing on the Vista machine, except I do see E_s00rp1.ex_
underc:\stylusphotor320\. It would appear that the latter needs to be
'installed'. Now I'll have to find the .exe to do that maybe.

-GECKO

I'm not so sure it is worth it yet. I terminated the process, the service
stopped and printcd still worked. So ignore it for now. The driver folder is
just packed with programs so who knows what is doing what.

If you want to try installing the drivers manually without the install
program, it worked for Printcd maybe it will work for drivers. You can
always install back the vista drivers. I can't test it cuz I don't want to
mess up what I got. I had no idea this was such a problematic thing.

Put the Epson cd in your drive, don't let it run. Go to control
panel/printers. Right click the R320(m) choose properties then advanced tab.
Click new driver button. Click next. Click the have disk button. enter your
cd rom drive letter in the "copy manufacturer's files from window, then
click OK. Vista will read the inf file and the next window will show your
the driver available. Select it and then click next. install it. Throw in a
reboot. See what happens.

If you need to reinstall the Visa drivers cuz all hell broke loose or
whatever, remove the Epson CD. Do the paragraph above except don't click the
have disk button, scroll down and find the printer listed under Epson in
the Vista provided drivers.

The other things are you unable to find in quite a ditzy way I must say, in
printcd click file/printer settings at the bottom of the window, tray 2 then
click properties, the other items are at the bottom. size A4 and the proper
media are vital and best picture if you are using a nice graphic, and they
have to be chosen every time in Vista, not in XP, for me. No big.

Old June 4th 08, 04:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

I've since read a few threads on this topic that I found by searching for
PrintCD. People have installed the XP drivers as another printer naming it
differently and using it to print from PrintCD. Another just installed the
XP drivers and then continued to use the "Vista" printer. This seems to
indicate to me that indeed some items are installed to the system32 folder
by the XP install that aides the Vista setup. Anyway this link to a FAQ on
Epson in very specific to your printer and seems to identify your problem
correctly and offer a fix and explain those other things I mentioned which
should ease your angst about everything. Ohmmmm..

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...738&foid=97778

Old June 4th 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
gecko[_3_]

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 21:38:59 -0700, "Cameron Snyder"
wrote:

I've since read a few threads on this topic that I found by searching for
PrintCD. People have installed the XP drivers as another printer naming it
differently and using it to print from PrintCD. Another just installed the
XP drivers and then continued to use the "Vista" printer. This seems to
indicate to me that indeed some items are installed to the system32 folder
by the XP install that aides the Vista setup. Anyway this link to a FAQ on
Epson in very specific to your printer and seems to identify your problem
correctly and offer a fix and explain those other things I mentioned which
should ease your angst about everything. Ohmmmm..

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...738&foid=97778

I applied the directions given at this web site carefully. I still
get the same 'The Epson Printer Driver dealing with CD printing is not
installed' message. I re-checked what I did and I don't see that I
did anything wrong. I am disappointed. The R320 still does print
paper fine from Vista though. But I bought it for CD labeling
however, so I'm not happy.

Thanks anyway
-GECKO