How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.

Old June 1st 08, 11:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mevande

Default How to disable ALPS touchpad on new PC, old methods don't work.

Hello,
I have an new Acer Laptop with Vista Home premium. It has an ALPS
touchpad. I want to disable the touchpad (and enable it w/ USB mouse on
rare occasions where I might use the touchpad).

I went to the control panel and mouse properties and there is no way to
disable it there. I also went to the device driver area and the disable
device was greyed out.

How do I disable this touchpad?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike

--
mevande

Old June 1st 08, 11:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carey Frisch [MVP][_2_]

Open your motherboard's BIOS and look for options
to enable or disable the touchpad.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Old June 2nd 08, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mick Murphy

A USB mouse will work without you disabling the Touchpad, and leaves you both
options!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old June 2nd 08, 07:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob J

On my Acer Notebook by pressing the FN key + F7 turns touchpad -Off - FN+F8
turns touchpad -ON.
--
Regards
Bob J

Old June 9th 08, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vistavision

Thanks for that info 'Bob J'

I've just bought an Acer Aspire 7720G and the sensitive touchpad was
really doing my head in. I would find that the line I was typing was
suddenly running in the middle of a previous paragraph. Your tip fixed
all that!

As an experienced Acer user - can you recommend a decent forum for
specifically 'Acer' related info? I did call the UK help-desk but they
neither hosted nor knew of an official or semi-official site. Bit
depressing when you've just bought one of their products!

Regards,

--
Vistavision
Old June 9th 08, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bob J

I have found the link below helpfull sometimes, other than that I rely on own
knowledge. If you post your queries to a genaral forum normally someone may
have a solution'
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Old June 9th 08, 04:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Vistavision

Thanks for the forum info as well Bob. It's a good start anyway.
(Like a bus full of lawyers going over a cliff!)

--
Vistavision

''
(http://eu2.ixquick.com/do/preferences.pl?language_ui=english_uk)'Ixquick'
(http://eu2.ixquick.com/uk/aboutixquick/) - The 'European' Search
Engine. arty:
Old October 7th 08, 02:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MarkyMarkD

Bob J;3777248 Wrote:
On my Acer Notebook by pressing the FN key + F7 turns touchpad -Off -
FN+F8
turns touchpad -ON.
--
Regards
Bob J
If advise given from anyone, solves problem or not, or if solved from
another source,post back & let us know.
Then we all benefit.Thanks for the tip, Bob. The touchpad was driving me mad too.

On my Acer Aspire it's FN-F7 to switch it both on and off.

MMD

--
MarkyMarkD
MarkyMarkD's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/markymarkd.htm