Windows Vista and Games Relating to running games and relateds issues under Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.games)

System crashes

Old June 3rd 08, 05:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Jobe Smith

Default System crashes

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 5/29/2008, 02:37:00
Machine name: MOAB
Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Business (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack
1 (6001.longhorn_rtm.080118-1840)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz (4
CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4094MB RAM
Page File: 2148MB used, 6240MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9800 GTX
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0612&SUBSYS_057710DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 2284 MB
Dedicated Memory: 493 MB
Shared Memory: 1791 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2um
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7516 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 5/2/2008 22:46:00, 8113664 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4552-11CF-326E-7C2502C2CA35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0612
SubSys ID: 0x057710DE
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Revision ID: 0x00A2
PSU is 700w, max needed for 9800gtx is 600w
Hi, I just recently installed my version of Windows Vista on my new
computer, and have been having random shutdowns ever since.
The problem occurs randomly whenever Im playing, only certain games. Just
about ever single game I play makes my computer shut off like a light
randomly. One game works completely fine though, Assassins Creed. I played
the game completely through without one crash. Crysis, on the otherhand wont
even get past the menu screen.

I have no issues with my hardware, no psu issues, no overheating issues (run
plenty of temp reading programs), all my drivers, including my GPU, are up to
date, as well as every single update I can get from Windows.
I've run a couple different Memory tests and have found nothing.
I did do a little research and have found something about a program called
"turbocache" which apparently allows the sharring of virtual and dedicated
memory to a GPU, and how WDDM may/maynot disallow such memory to be shared.

The computer acts completely fine, and really pumps out the graphics. Very,
VERY, seldomly ever laggs. It just randomly shuts down certain video games.

Can anyone help me?
Old June 3rd 08, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Paul Smith

Typically the machine just powering off or restarting is more of a sign of
hardware issues, possibly overheating or maybe faulty hardware. If its
something software related you should at least get a stop error, even if it
only flashes up for a second.

Either way try checking www.nvidia.com to see if there's any newer video
drivers available.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

"Jobe Smith" Jobe wrote in message
------------------
System Information
------------------

Old June 3rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Jobe Smith[_2_]

I've went through all the basics. There is absolutely no signs of
overheating. All drivers are up to date, version 175.16 just realeased on May
16th/08.
Vista is completely up to date, i literally check for updates once a day.
I've run any memory test I can find, and have found nothing.

All that I can think of, and even NVIDIA has pointed to this in their latest
patch notes, that Microsoft's WDDM program is taking control of shared
virtual memory, not the NVIDIA's driver.

My problem could be a driver issue. Because the driver isnt in full control,
that the WDDM is limiting memory to be used by the turbocache, to keep for
itself to keep Vista nice and happy (aero and gooey).

Can anyone from Microsoft help me with this issue, or at least explain to me
more about WDDM, turbocache, and NVIDIA/Microsofts involvement with all this.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.games
Andy [YaYa]

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9iZSBTbWl0aA==?= wrote
in :

"Paul Smith" wrote:

Typically the machine just powering off or restarting is more of a
sign of hardware issues, possibly overheating or maybe faulty
hardware. If its something software related you should at least get
a stop error, even if it only flashes up for a second.

Either way try checking www.nvidia.com to see if there's any newer
video drivers available.

Just because you aren't over heating doesn't mean your chipset isn't
defective. I used to run bad CPUs under liquid nitrogen and they'd still
crash. Bad chips = bad chips. no amount of cooling is gonna help ya
buddy.

If you're overclocking, disable that stuff. If your card came
overclocked, exchange it. I keep hearing the defect rate in OC'd cards
goes up vs. factory stock cards.

No one from Microsoft reads this too often Jobe, it's pretty much a
".public" forum, no real moderation.

But you might just wait around for more suggestions, so far you have two
that say "hardware problem". Try taking the card to another computer, or
swap it out for another card. You might be able to find something to
test your hardware out there as well (stress test).

Good luck,

-A.