What Anti Virus?

Old June 3rd 08, 05:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Denise[_4_]

Default What Anti Virus?

Hi,
can someone please advise of a good free anti virus program that runs well
with Vista Home Premium. I downloaded the bought version 8.0 and began
having problems with the computer lagging, and generally slow all over, not
thinking it was AVG, I checked every other possible issue that I thought may
be causing it. Eventually it lead to AVG, as things had been good prior to
installation. I completely removed AVG and everything returned to normal,
great! But then I done a further download of the program again, and once
again the problems began.
Is there a good alternative Anti Virus program that is recommended ?
Kind regards

Denise

Old June 3rd 08, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Dzomlija

Denise;735422 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Denise.

I'm currently using Avast!, which is free for home use. It does require
registration, but remains free nonetheless for home users.

Get it here - 'avast! antivirus - high security and protection from
malware with anti-spyware and anti-rootkit software built in'

Peter

--
Dzomlija

Peter Alexander Dzomlija
-Do you hear, huh? The Alpha and The Omega? Death and Rebirth? And as
you die, so shall I be Reborn...-

_*Prometheus*_
MOBO: ASUS MB-M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP
CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Quad
RAM: 2 x A-Data 2GB DDR2-800
GPU: ASUS ATI Radeon HD 2400PRO, 256MB
BOX: Thermaltake Tai-Chi Water Cooled
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate x64
'' (http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=333562)'[image:
http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png]'
(http://valid.x86-secret.com/cache/banner/333562.png)
Old June 3rd 08, 06:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

You could give the free version of Avast! anti virus a try (www.avast.com)
The user interface is not as 'user' friendly as AVG but the application
itself has many followers.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old June 3rd 08, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Clear Windows

good thing he started a new thread... I saw this one while I didn't see the
other one

"DL" address@invalid wrote in message
No need to start a new thread

Old June 3rd 08, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Patrick Keenan

"Denise" wrote in message
Hi,
can someone please advise of a good free anti virus program that runs well
with Vista Home Premium. I downloaded the bought version 8.0 and began
having problems with the computer lagging, and generally slow all over,
not
thinking it was AVG, I checked every other possible issue that I thought
may
be causing it. Eventually it lead to AVG, as things had been good prior
installation. I completely removed AVG and everything returned to normal,
great! But then I done a further download of the program again, and once
again the problems began.
Is there a good alternative Anti Virus program that is recommended ?
Kind regards

Denise

I use AVG Free 8, it's not a problem. Apparently the paid version of AVG8
does have an SP1 incompatibility that is being fixed. If you contact
their support you may be able to get a pre-release version

HTH
-pk

Old June 3rd 08, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
madMental[_2_]

Avast.
--
"I first diagnosed symptomless coma
three years ago, and since then the number
Old June 3rd 08, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
measekite

I do not know about Vista but Avast Home Edition works great with all of
the other versions of Windows.

Old June 3rd 08, 11:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
measekite

Patrick Keenan wrote:
"Denise" wrote in message
[...]

This is the kind of things you have with Windows.

Old June 4th 08, 01:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Alias[_15_]

Denise wrote:
Hi,
can someone please advise of a good free anti virus program that runs well
with Vista Home Premium. I downloaded the bought version 8.0 and began
having problems with the computer lagging, and generally slow all over, not
thinking it was AVG, I checked every other possible issue that I thought
may
be causing it. Eventually it lead to AVG, as things had been good prior to
installation. I completely removed AVG and everything returned to normal,
great! But then I done a further download of the program again, and once
again the problems began.
Is there a good alternative Anti Virus program that is recommended ?
Kind regards

Denise

The best if you want to pay: Kaspersky. If you don't want to pay, Avast
Home Edition. That said, having a hard firewall enabled in your router
will also help along with safe hex.

Alias