Vista Basic 32-bit to Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Old June 4th 08, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Fallen

Default Vista Basic 32-bit to Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I currently have the Vista Bastic 32bit operating system. However I've
recently been informed that ultimate 64bit would better fit my needs. So I
scampered over to TigerDirect.com where I found upon clicking on the Windows
Vista Ulitmate 64 bit software that it says that you cannot upgrade 32bit to
64bit, or 64 bit to 32bit. Is this true? Or is this true only for XP 32bit
trying to go to 64bit vista? I know that my processor is able to run the 64
bit operating system by contacting HP... I just wanted to know if it were
possible for me to upgrade from 32 to 64.
Old June 4th 08, 05:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mick Murphy

You have to do a clean install to go from 32bit to 64bit, and 64bit to 32bit.
Don't buy an upgrade disk of 64bit, you want full version, OEM or retail!

By clean install, set your Bios to boot from DVD drive 1st, reboot with the
64bit Vista DVD in the Drive, delete the existing 32bit Vista Partition, set
up a new partition, format it, install the new 64bit vista.
The above instructions, (except the boot Bios part!), are on the Vista disk.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Old June 4th 08, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

There are two meanings of "upgrade". One is upgrading the bits and the
other is upgrade licensing.

You cannot upgrade the bits to go from any 32bit operating systems to 64bit
ones. That is a technical matter. You are entitled, however, to use an
upgrade edition license to migrate from 32bits to 64bits, but you have to
reinstall Windows to do it. An upgrade edition license will allow you to do
that.

If Vista 32bit came preinstalled on your computer you must purchase an
upgrade or standard edition of Vista x64 to migrate to 64bits. You are not
entitled to a free retail 64bit dvd and your product key would not work with
a retail copy of a 64bit dvd anyway.

If you purchased a retail copy of Vista (upgrade or standard license) and
have only the 32bit dvd then you are entitled to a free 64bit dvd and your
present product key will work with the 64bit dvd.

It all comes down to whether your Vista came preinstalled or you bought a
retail copy as to whether you can migrate to 64bits for free or not.