Floppy Drive won't recognize disks

Old June 4th 08, 01:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
daelu

Default Floppy Drive won't recognize disks

Vista shows my floppy drive as drive A and the device manager says that the
drive and the drive controller are working properly. However, when I attempt
to read, write, format a disk vista reports the the drive has no disk in it.
I changed the drive, bought new disks and this did not help. Any suggestions
?

Thanks !!
Old June 4th 08, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"daelu" wrote in message
Vista shows my floppy drive as drive A and the device manager says that
the
drive and the drive controller are working properly. However, when I
attempt
to read, write, format a disk vista reports the the drive has no disk in
it.
I changed the drive, bought new disks and this did not help. Any
suggestions
?

Thanks !!

Not a solution, but I just wonder why on EARTH you are still using floppy
disks.........

Old June 4th 08, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
andy

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 06:15:03 -0700, daelu
wrote:

Vista shows my floppy drive as drive A and the device manager says that the
drive and the drive controller are working properly. However, when I attempt
to read, write, format a disk vista reports the the drive has no disk in it.
I changed the drive, bought new disks and this did not help. Any suggestions
?

Thanks !!

If you're going to use floppies, you should always have some bootable
(to DOS) floppy diskettes on hand. If you can boot the computer to
DOS, then the hardware is functional.
Old June 4th 08, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

There are still uses for them. I still make sure a new desktop has one.
Whether it is a password disk or I am installing a copy of Win9x/ME into a
new virtual machine a floppy is useful yet.

Old June 4th 08, 04:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
There are still uses for them. I still make sure a new desktop has one.
Whether it is a password disk or I am installing a copy of Win9x/ME into a
new virtual machine a floppy is useful yet.

Most new machines in the past two years or so have a BIOS that will boot
from a USB memory stick.......I still say floppies are now completely
obsolete.....

Old June 4th 08, 05:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

That's your take on it. There is legacy stuff that wants a floppy period.
I have done more than enough beta testing that things like floppy drives and
PS/2 ports make sense to me yet.

Old June 6th 08, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Donald L McDaniel[_5_]

"Gordon" wrote in message
"daelu" wrote in message
Vista shows my floppy drive as drive A and the device manager says that
the
drive and the drive controller are working properly. However, when I
attempt
to read, write, format a disk vista reports the the drive has no disk in
it.
I changed the drive, bought new disks and this did not help. Any
suggestions
?

Thanks !!

Not a solution, but I just wonder why on EARTH you are still using floppy
disks.........

I also wanted one with my new Desktop, but for some reason, when the
builder connected one to the motherboard, the machine refused to boot.

Only later did I find that even though there is a floppy controller on
my Intel motherboard, it is not compatible with the motherboard
itself.

Result: I don't have a floppy. (which makes it very hard to install
Windows XP on my motherboard, since the RAID drivers for my
motherboard are only supplied on a floppy.)

Old July 6th 08, 07:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sooner1938[_35_]

Got a question I want to shotgun to the board.

I have scores, or maybe even hundreds of old 1.44 floppy discs on which
I used to back up my data. However, I haven't had a floppy drive in my
last 3 or 4 PCs. I'm thinking about buying one of those external floppy
drives to see if I can salvage some of the old data (primarily pictures
& music) for use on my Vista OS machine. Has anyone tried this and if
so, can you recommend an external floppy drive that will work with
Vista?

--
sooner1938