Old speaker won't work with new computer

Old June 5th 08, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert[_18_]

Default Old speaker won't work with new computer

I've just purchased a new computer, running Vista. My previous one was XP.
My old speaker system will not work now. It is a Harman/Kardon Model HK395.
Do I need new software for this?

Thanks for any help.
--
Robert

West Virginia
Old June 5th 08, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

You're right. They are old. The HK website gives the following dates for
your speakers:
" FIRST MANUFACTURED: 1985
LAST MANUFACTURED: 1988"

Having said that, speakers do not require software or drivers. Check in
Vista to make sure that your sound is configured correctly.

Old June 5th 08, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

On Thu, 5 Jun 2008 14:23:02 -0700, Robert
wrote:

I've just purchased a new computer, running Vista. My previous one was XP.
My old speaker system will not work now. It is a Harman/Kardon Model HK395.
Do I need new software for this?

You probably plugged it into the wrong connector, or forgot to plug it
in if it's self-powered. Even the oldes/cheapest speakers from days
gone by will work.
Old June 6th 08, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
abraham_lincoln

do the speakers have any sound at all (like very low) or no sound at
all.
if they have very little sound then it could be that your computer only
has a line out sound option. (you would need to get amplified speakers
to fix this ) or if you can switch the sound options then switch it to
headphone instead of line in

hope that helps

--
abraham_lincoln
Old June 6th 08, 02:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert[_18_]

The speakers have no sound at all. And they worked fine on the previous
computer.

Incidentally, these speakers came with a new Dell I bought in year 2000. Or
else another new dell I bought in 2003. Can't remember. But they don't date
back to 1985.

Thanks for any further thoughts.
--
Robert

West Virginia

Old June 6th 08, 03:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

Robert wrote:
The speakers have no sound at all. And they worked fine on the previous
computer.

Incidentally, these speakers came with a new Dell I bought in year 2000. Or
else another new dell I bought in 2003. Can't remember. But they don't date
back to 1985.

Thanks for any further thoughts.

The sockets on many new PCs can auto detect what is plugged into them,
sometimes right click on your speaker icon can get you so a set up
screen, This depends on the right driver software. If you look at your
hardware information is the sound card shown as okay?

If so state the make and model and maybe that will give someone a clue.
Old June 6th 08, 10:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert[_18_]

I'm not savy enough to be sure what I'm looking at. There seem to be two
sound related devices listed:

"Digital Output Device (SPDIF out) Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC-
Working" AND "Speakers/Headphones Sigma Tel High
Definition Audio CODEC- Working"

Both properties show their location as C/:Location 0 (Internal High
Definition Audio Bus)

Where do I find the Sound Card information, or is this it?
--
Robert

West Virginia

Old June 6th 08, 11:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
03hdfatboy[_10_]

That was it. It should be plugged up in the rear like this. Or something
similar.
[image:
http://bp3.blogger.com/_XRY95DeiYD8/...ound_card.jpg]

--
03hdfatboy

*fatboy*

*my baby...*
*raidmax smilodon dirk-tooth case*
*pc power & cooling 1200w psu*
*abit aw9d-max *
*intel core 2 extreme qx6700 @ 3668.5 mhz*
*vigor gaming clt-m2i 92mm thermal electric cpu cooler*
*corsair dominator 4gb *
*ati x1950xtx + ati x1950cf*
*hauppauge wintv-hvr-1800*
*400 gb, 320 gb sata seagate barracudas*
*i-rocks e-sata w/500gb seagate*
*2 sony/nec optiarc 1(7170a) 1(ad-7191s)*
*acer al2216wbd *
*logitech g15 gamer & mx518 *
*creative labs 5.1 speakers*
Old June 6th 08, 11:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert[_18_]

Thank you. I tried to post a photo of the back of my system but I don't have
a website to post them on, and can't find a way to attach to this message..
But my plugs on the back of my computer are all the size of the INPUT plugs
in your photo. I don't have one the size of the output plug in your photo. M
computer is brand new... Dell XPS 420. And the male connector of my speaker
wire is the type that would fit into your Input plugs. Does this offer a
clue what I should do, or confuze things more. Thanks for all suggestions.
--
Robert

West Virginia

Old June 6th 08, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert[_18_]

I think this link will take you to two photos of my speaker plug and of the
rear of my computer. thanks

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/A...21/t_=85794521

--
Robert