Boot up Problems

Old June 7th 08, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Richard

Default Boot up Problems

I just built a new computer, it seems to have boot up problems: blank screen,
nothing showing on display, the hard drive light flickers once and that is
it, however after pressing the reset button, everything boots up fine and
windows runs OK. This happens about 50% of the time, I don't think it is
windows issue because this happened when there was no operating system on the
hard drive. I suspect the video card or the hard drive. Any sugestions would
be welcomed.
--
Running windows vista business 32, on XFX 680i motherboard, quad core
2.66GHz, XFX 8800GT video.
Old June 7th 08, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nonny

On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 11:11:00 -0700, Richard
wrote:

I just built a new computer, it seems to have boot up problems: blank screen,
nothing showing on display, the hard drive light flickers once and that is
it, however after pressing the reset button, everything boots up fine and
windows runs OK. This happens about 50% of the time, I don't think it is
windows issue because this happened when there was no operating system on the
hard drive. I suspect the video card or the hard drive. Any sugestions would
be welcomed.

You're right: it's not Windows.

I doubt that it's the video card either because if it were
malfunctioning, you'd hear some definite "beeps" from the speaker in
your case.

If it was the hard drive, your BIOS would still work and you'd should
get POST progress messages, but it wouldn't see your hard drive.

Open the thing up and wiggle everything (POWER DISCONNECTED) to make
sure it's all seated properly.
Old June 7th 08, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Cameron Snyder

Check your motherboard standoffs also. If they are seated just a little off
they can ground out your motherboard intermittently.

news

Old June 7th 08, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nepatsfan

"Richard" wrote in message
news
I just built a new computer, it seems to have boot up problems: blank screen,
nothing showing on display, the hard drive light flickers once and that is
it, however after pressing the reset button, everything boots up fine and
windows runs OK. This happens about 50% of the time, I don't think it is
windows issue because this happened when there was no operating system on the
hard drive. I suspect the video card or the hard drive. Any sugestions would
be welcomed.
--
Running windows vista business 32, on XFX 680i motherboard, quad core
2.66GHz, XFX 8800GT video.

If it was happening all the time as you describe I'd suspect that you have the
front panel connectors misconfigured. It almost sounds like you may have
connected the connector for the on/off switch to the motherboard where the
connector for the reset switch should be and vice versa.

Nepatsfan