External USB hub not working

Old June 10th 08, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Marcus

Default External USB hub not working

I have some troubles with my new USB 2 "high speed" hub

( http://tinyurl.com/5ql9xn )

that is, once installed I was getting some errors about removing connected
devices 'cause I could get better performance on a USB 2 port....

huh? How could it be? It is a USB 2 hub!

So I've noticed that I was getting some errors (in the system tray) like:

"Device driver was not succesfully installed" and in the list: "USB 2.0
Hub" "Searching preconfigure d driver folders"

So I've read on the package (unknown chines brand) that the hub is
compatible with all but Vista!

What can I do?

Old June 10th 08, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 01:06:29 +0200, "Marcus"
wrote:

I have some troubles with my new USB 2 "high speed" hub

( http://tinyurl.com/5ql9xn )

that is, once installed I was getting some errors about removing connected
devices 'cause I could get better performance on a USB 2 port....

huh? How could it be? It is a USB 2 hub!

So I've noticed that I was getting some errors (in the system tray) like:

"Device driver was not succesfully installed" and in the list: "USB 2.0
Hub" "Searching preconfigure d driver folders"

So I've read on the package (unknown chines brand) that the hub is
compatible with all but Vista!

What can I do?

If you had read the complete description (click to read more details),
you would have seen that there was no mention of it being
Vista-compatible.

Put it in the little round file under your desk and buy a new one that
IS Vista-compatible.
Old June 11th 08, 01:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_22_]

wrote:

[...]

There are some honest manuals that say for best results, avoid USB hubs and
connect directly to a USB port on the computer.

I have read that USB has some quirks that make it not fast enough for many
new devices and that USB is not the connection of choice in new systems;
however, eSata seems to have some problems in Vista (see my previous post to
a thread about eSata drives).

Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about USB.

John

Old June 11th 08, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Marcus

I have read that USB has some quirks that make it not fast enough for many
new devices and that USB is not the connection of choice in new systems;
however, eSata seems to have some problems in Vista (see my previous post
to a thread about eSata drives).

Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about USB.

John

The strange fact is that if the any hub is really USB compliant, it should
simply work, regardless being used on Vista, Mac OSX or Linux.

I'm asking my self if there may be some configuration tweak to adjust:
- the hub is "working" (slow but working)
- it acts like if not being USB 2, while it really is
- it is shown like having 4 ports instead of 7.....

Any hint?

Old June 11th 08, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Nevertheless, many hubs that work fine with XP do not do so with Vista. In
fact, I had one older hub that blue-screened Vista. Get a Vista-compatible
hub.

There is a limit on how many devices a system can handle (there is only so
much power available to the usb bus to support data transfers) and it is not
the case that you can successfully connect devices to all available ports
simultaneously on many computers. I have seen reports of a fouth device
causing a usb hard drive to disappear from Computer.

m...