Old February 22nd 07, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mister Ed

Default Card Reader won't read 2Gb SD card

Check the driver for the card reader. I had the same problem - couldn't
format an SD card 1GB. My HP laptop had a 2001 vintage driver for the
reader. Once I updated the driver everything worked fine.

"deadite66" wrote:

In article ,
jammiedodger80 writes
Installed Vista yesterday, and the only thing I'm having trouble with is my
card reader.

It'll read all of my 128mb, 256mb, 512mb and 1gb SD cards no problem, but
won't read my 2gb card. Instead, it gives the message "you need to format
the disk in drive X: before you can use it. Do you want to format it?"

Now, if say yes, it brings up the "format disk" box, but shows the capacity
as being 969mb.
However, if I put the same card reader and the same cardback in my Windows
XP box, it reads it fine as being 2Gb.

Have also tried it with another card reader borrowed from a friend, with the
same result.

Any ideas?

i have the same problems, i believe it to be a windows driver problem.
both xp and vista refuse to read a 2gb sdcard via usb card reader but
the same hardware in Linux can read it perfectly.
--
deadite66