which UPS to buy for vista final?

Old December 4th 06, 10:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vista

Default which UPS to buy for vista final?

i want to buy a non-known trademark usb line interactive ups.
how do i know if it will work with vista?
how do i know if vista will shutdown automatically after power loss.

It has some software but it is for xp. will it be compatible with vista?

do i need this software in vista?
maybe vista itself can handle it?

thanks

Old December 4th 06, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

You'd need to check with the manufacturer of the UPS to see if they will
support Vista. I would not use the Windows XP software within Vista on a
dare.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

news

Old December 5th 06, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vista

i dont know the manufacturer.
the UPS is kind of anonymous.

is there anyone who can give answer to my original questions about if vista
by themselves support ups?

thanks

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

You'd need to check with the manufacturer of the UPS to see if they will
support Vista. I would not use the Windows XP software within Vista on a
dare.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/

news

Old December 5th 06, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Have you asked the source you are acquiring it from?
If you post the source and any other relevant information, someone may be
able to help.

Very doubtful without the manufacturers specific information.
You seem to have 2 choices:
1. Take a chance-very risky
2. More research to determine manufacturer and Vista compatibility.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

news

Old December 5th 06, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Urbach

Do you really want to trust a "no name":
With your data?
Or your "system" longevity?

My APC USB UPS is currently using default Vista drivers (APC drivers
give you more control options).

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

You'd need to check with the manufacturer of the UPS to see if they will
support Vista. I would not use the Windows XP software within Vista on a
dare.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...
http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/

news

Old December 5th 06, 06:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vista

can someone give me a reply if vista has its own software.

i don't want comments about trusting a no-name.
anyway it is not noname, it is just unknown origin.
the seller has his own trademark on it
it worths for half price

thanks
Old December 5th 06, 11:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Theo

How do you expect someone to give you answer when they have
no idea which UPS you're wanting to know about?

Use some common sense!

Provide the manufacturer's name, make, and model of the UPS
to start with. With that information someone might be able
to answer your question.

But, regardless of the make and model of your UPS, it is up
to the manufacturer and/or the vendor to provide the
software for it, not Microsoft. I would not expect anymore
support in Vista that you find in Windows XP.

Old December 5th 06, 11:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

No one can answer your question because we simply don't have enough
information to go on. I guess if you really want to find out you'll plug it
in and pray for the best.

Old December 19th 06, 09:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bruce Sanderson

Both XP and Vista have some built-in support for UPS devices. Depending on
the particular make and model and what "support" you need, the built-in UPS
support may or may not work with your particular UPS.

Generally, the software for the UPS will provide functions like:
- displaying the current load on the UPS
- displaying the current battery charge
- reporting whether or not the UPS is getting AC power or is providing power
from the battery
- shutting down the computer automaticaly when the battery in UPS reaches a
pre-set discharge state

From what I know, the UPS "support" in XP and Vista provides the last three
functions, but not the first.

Unless you can get an positive (with some kind of guarantee) statement from
the manufacturer/vendor, you'll just have to try it, preferrably in a "test"
environment.

Some XP software for UPSs will work with Vista (e.g. PowerChute Personal
Edition Version 2.0 - I use this on Vista for my APC Back-UPS XS 900). The
XP version of the software (UPSMON) for my wife's Power Sentry UPS also
works with Vista.

As others have said, without specific information about the make and model,
it is not possible to give an accurate answer to your question.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

news