Chkdsk in Vista 32-bit SP1 is corrupting security descriptors

Old June 14th 08, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
William West of Boca

Default Chkdsk in Vista 32-bit SP1 is corrupting security descriptors

I ran "chkdsk /f" last night, thinking that I was doing a good thing, on my
Intel, DG965WH computer with Seagate, SATA, AHCI Generation II harddrive.

Instead, chkdsk brought down my operating system, C: drive by

first giving me messages like the known MAJOR BUG occurance in Windows 2000
systems.

It displayed messages exactly like the following two:

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 1496 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1496 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1496 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

1576209407 KB total disk space.
1514676116 KB in 4232266 files.
1523236 KB in 302192 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
4671195 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
55338860 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
394052351 total allocation units on disk.
13834715 allocation units available on disk.

• Security descriptor information is removed from some files or folders. In
the following example, the Chkdsk log file contains an error message that
indicates that two security data stream entries cross page boundaries:
Checking file system on M:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is MyVolume.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
The security data stream entry at offset 0x1bfff0 with length 0x80010033
crosses the page boundary.
The security data stream entry at offset 0x4bfff0 with length 0x80010033
crosses the page boundary.
Repairing the security file record segment.
Deleting an index entry with Id 4971 from index $SII of file 9.
Deleting an index entry with Id 9614 from index $SII of file 9.
Deleting an index entry with Id 9614 from index $SDH of file 9.
Deleting an index entry with Id 4971 from index $SDH of file 9.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 97.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 1890.
Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file 1991."

I stared, in horror, as chkdsk replaced all of my security descriptors on my
10, 000 files and replaced them with "default security id's".

My system never booted up again after that, leaving me with only a "blank,
black screen of DEATH.

Needless to say, Backup & Restore would not recognize my "Backup Drive"
stating that the drive was NOT FOUND!!! This was an SATA, AHCI drive, so
Vista's Backup and Restore doesn't support this. IN SHORT, NOTHING RECOVERED
MY SYSTEM other than me having to do a complete REINSTALL.

BEWARE, when you can no longer Trust CHKDSK from MICROSOFT in WINDOWS VISTA,
SERVICE PACK 1!!!!!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
Old June 16th 08, 08:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
abauer

I had the same horror experience last night. I was building a new larger
dual-boot drive and had attached the original dual-boot SATA drive
externally via 2xUSB. I performed a READ access to the original VISTA
SP1 drive which requested Administrator permissions and I think this
caused the problem. On rebooting CHKDSK started automatically. I
reinserted the original drive and let CHKDSK run to completion. Now only
XP boots (on the original drive), VISTA no longer displays the login
screen!!!

To be fair I must add that I had also installed Paragon Partition
Manager 9.0 Personal, however I only started it as a test - I did NOT
execute any command. Logically speaking, either Paragon makes changes
without warning - or - the problem was caused by VISTA accessing another
VISTA partition mounted as an external drive (which I tend to believe as
it had a security access issue).

Now I am left in a real mess... and must complete the new disk rebuild
a.s.a.p.

Best regards,
Andrew Bauer (ex DEC, ex Compaq, ex Hewlett-Packard)

--
abauer
Old June 17th 08, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
abauer

Further to my reply above: there is no way for me to recover my original
Vista installation. Using the boot DVD: 'Startup Repair' does not fix
the problem; 'System Restore' finds no restore points; and 'Windows
Complete PC Restore' would wipe it anyway. Choosing 'Install' (rather
than 'Repair') would only permit me to do a Custom Install (Install a
clean copy) as 'Upgrade' is disabled (must be started from Windows).

So - to pick an example - there is no way for me to deinstall Abobe
Photoshop CS3 - I will need to convince Adobe that I have an additional
valid licence in addition to all my problems with Microsoft Vista.

As info - when CHKDSK ran and corrupted my Vista installation, the
message "Replacing invalid security id with default security id"
executed for every file number on the Vista partition.

This problem is so irritating that I need to address this to our
leading Computer Journals. Although it may have one of two possible
causes (in my opinion), I tend to believe it was when Vista accessed
another drive with a bootable Vista partition (and I tried to read some
data) that the basic corruption occured that kicked CHKDSK into action
(which started automatically during the next reboot and that was the
last I saw of my Vista installation).

If Microsoft reads these posts... is there a utility like CHKDSK that
could fix the security id on all files in the Vista partition so that
Vista boots (if only to deactivate my Adobe licence)? I would be much
obliged to receive such utility (if only to test it).

Kind regards - Andrew Bauer

--
abauer
Old June 23rd 08, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
vis64

::I had the same problem on my Vista-64 sp1 system, but fortunately I
had made a complete system backup and was able to restore vista
partition using installation DVD with “only restore system drive”
option.::
::Although my restored system was running with no problem, if ran
chkdsk, it would do the same thing and make vista unbootable. The
problem; Chkdsk would identify “file 9” as corrupt and delete it, and
then replace security ID for all files with default. BTW; The only
reason I needed chkdsk was to run “Diskeeper” at boot-time.::
::After almost two months of frustration, Googling, talking to
Microsoft support and getting fruitless advice, my only option
(according to MS support) was to fresh install Vista and all programs.
This would have caused me a lot of headache, loss of time and losing all
my setting.::
::One day I started looking for a alternative defrag program that could
also defrag ntfs files(mft). After some research I downloaded
“PerfectDisk 2008 pro” demo and tried it to see if it finds any problem
with my drive.::
::Perfectdisk ran with no problem and when I ran CHKDSK (without /F)
again, this time (to my surprise) it did not report “file 9” as corrupt.
So I ran CHKDSK with /F and after reboot, chkdsk repaired a few minor
problems and reported my drive healthy and vista started with no
problem. I was elated, and gladly purchased perfectdisk and run it
frequently to check the status of my drives.::
::Apparently if “file 9” is fragmented, CHKDSK incorrectly indentifies
it as corrupt and therefore causes all kind of repair. I’ve reported my
findings to Microsoft and hopefully they’ll fix CHKDSK.::
::If you have a complete system backup, you should be able to restore
your boot partition with installation DVD(make sure you have drivers
handy for your drives). Once restored, run chkdsk (without /F or /R)
first and if you see a message “file 9 is corrupt”, defrag your drive.::
::Hope is helpful….::

--
vis64