Missing system files

Old June 17th 08, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Larry S.

Default Missing system files

While dealing with tech support from a peripherals company regarding a mouse
problem, they had me check for certain system files, and we determined that
several appeared to missing, including input.inf, msmouse.inf, and
hidusd.sys. Someone suggested I use System File Checker (sfc / scannow), but
this did not restore the files, and give error messages telling me that there
were corrupted files but they could not be repaired. Any ideas about what
might have happened to these files (and any others that might also be
missing) and more importantly, how can I get them back.
--
Larry S
Old June 17th 08, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Vista's equivalent of a Repair Install is the Upgrade in Place. You insert
your dvd at the Vista desktop and select Install Now. Then select the
Upgrade Option. This of course does not disturb your apps, files, or
settings, but it will result in a new copy of the OS, thus correcting all
file corruptions. SFC not being able to correct the corrupted files
suggests that an upgrade in place is the only effective solution.

If you have a Vista gold dvd and have upgraded to SP1 you will need to
uninstall SP1 first and reinstall after. Otherwise you will get an error
message that the OS on the computer is newer than the one on the media and
will not be able to proceed.

Old June 17th 08, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Larry,
I suspect that that those files that are missing are not present in the
\windows\inf folder
I need you to check if those files are present in the folders under
c:\windows\system32\driverstor\filerepository.
There are then multiple copies of each of those files each in their own
folder something like msmouse.inf_12345678
You should take the most up to date file and copy it back to the
c:\windows\inf folder
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TGFycnkgUy4=?=
| Subject: Missing system files
| Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 08:34:00 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,mic rosoft.public.windows.vist
a.hardware_devices

Old June 17th 08, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Larry S.

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. The disk I have is the Academic Upgrade version, but
I have installed SP1. Do I still need to uninstall that before proceeding
with the update? How can I uninstall SP1, and is there anything to do first
to make sure there are no negative effects of the uninstall, or is it likely
to be completely safe to do?

By the way, it would sure be nice if the screen that comes up when the disk
is installed said something about upgrading and repairing. I was afraid to
hit the Install Now button because I wasn't sure I wouldn't have had to
completely reinstall all of the many applications I have installed since that
would need to be written in to the registry again. It sounds like that would
actually not be an issue, though.
--
Larry S