USB Mouse Lost Configuration

Old June 17th 08, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

Default USB Mouse Lost Configuration

This problem happened after I installed Vista SP1. Here's my setup:

Vista Ultimate 32bit with SP1
USB Microsoft Trackball Explorer (directly connected - does not go through a
hub)

I used the Microsoft IntelliPoint software (version 6.1) to map the keys
differently than the default settings. Before SP1 this worked fine. After
SP1 the trackball still works but my custom settings are lost. So I opened
up the Microsoft IntelliPoint software and was presented with the following
dialog:

"Some mouse settings might not work until you connect a Microsoft mouse to a
USB port on your computer or set up a Microsoft mouse that uses Bluetooth
technology."

Next step was to Google for answers. There were several suggestions, so I
started trying them:
1) Unplug and replug the USB Trackball - FAILED

2) Remove the USB Trackball from the device manager, unplug and replug it
(so the OS sees it again) - FAILED

3) Remove the USB Trackball from the device manager, reboot the computer -
FAILED

4) Remove Microsoft's IntelliPoint software - FAILED, it starts to remove
the software but then fails with the following error: "Setup Error, Setup
was interrupted before Microsoft IntelliPoint software could be completely
installed. To complete installation at another time, run setup again." This
is a bit strange since I was removing the software. Oh well.

5) Download and install version 6.2 of Microsoft's IntelliPoint software -
FAILED, it starts the installation, makes me accept the agreement, choose my
trackball (which IS in the list), but then displays this dialog: "Setup
cannot continue because either there is insufficient free hard disk space or
an unexpected error has occurred. Please free the necessary disk space, and
run Setup again. For system requirements, refer to the product packaging."
This is strange too since I have 181GB available on my drive. Oh well.

6) Go into Safe Mode and uninstall (or install) the IntelliPoint software -
FAILED, apparantely in Vista you cannot install or uninstall in Safe Mode
anymore.

I'm open to suggestions. I would HATE to have to rollback updates to try and
find out which one caused the problem (there are over 100 updates). Also, I
don't really feel like that is my job (to fix what Microsoft broke).

Thanks,
John

Old June 17th 08, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

One sequence I did not see in your list that you might try.
Uninstall the trackball in device manage
Shutdown the computer and disconnect the trackball
Boot the computer make sure the trackball does not appear in device manager.
Shutdown the computer and reconnect the trackball
Boot the computer.

I had not troubles with my MS Bluetooth mouse or its intellipoint settings
when I upgraded Vista HP 32 bit to SP1.

Old June 17th 08, 05:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

Thanks for the suggestion Curious.

I just tried it, I'll call it #7:

7) Remove the USB Trackball from the device manager, shut down the computer,
unplug the trackball, reboot the computer (make sure the trackball is not
listed in the device manager), shut down the computer again, reconnect the
trackball, reboot the computer - FAILED, on the 1st reboot the trackball was
not listed in the device manager, after I shut down, connected the
trackball, and rebooted, Vista recognized the trackball but the same problem
happened (IntelliPoint won't save my remapped keys).

Thanks,
John

Old June 17th 08, 06:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Do the remapped keys work before you do a normal shutdown or restart from
the start menu but not afterwards?

Old June 17th 08, 07:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

No the remapped keys never work.

- I open the IntelliPoint program (it gives me the bogus error message)
- I remap the buttons
- Apply the changes
- Close the IntelliPoint program
- The trackball buttons are still the default ones

John

Old June 18th 08, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

Default USB Mouse Lost Configuration (IntelliPoint v6.2 Install)

A very troubling problem is that I can not get IntelliPoint version 6.2
installed. It fails with a dialog that displays this message:

"Setup cannot continue because either there is insufficient free hard disk
space or
an unexpected error has occurred. Please free the necessary disk space, and
run Setup again. For system requirements, refer to the product packaging."

Have others had this problem with Vista Ultimate 32Bit?

John

Old June 19th 08, 02:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

Default USB Mouse Lost Configuration - Vista SP 1 killed my Microsoft Trackball Explorer

Bump.

Any help out there?

Old June 19th 08, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

What release of the intellipoint drivers is indicated by the .exe file for
intellipoint in System files?
Are you sure you are not trying to install the MAC 6.2 drivers or one for
the wrong version of Vista?
"John" wrote in message
Bump.

Any help out there?

Old June 20th 08, 09:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

My system has version 6.10.157.0 of the IntelliPoint softwa

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Intellipoint\ipoint.exe
version 6.10.157.0
size 829KB
2/5/2007 3:52pm

To update, I go to: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/ then click on the
download link in the left panel.

After selecting my Trackball Explorer, OS, and language I get sent to this

The only option here is: IntelliPoint 6.2 32-bit for Windows Vista
(note: this is version 6.20.182.0)

I then download it and try to install it. But it fails with:

"Setup cannot continue because either there is insufficient
free hard disk space or an unexpected error has occurred. Please free the
necessary disk space, and run Setup again. For system requirements, refer
to the product packaging."

The system has 4GB RAM, 300GB hard disk (181GB available) so I know I have
enough free hard disk space.

Help,
John

"Curious" wrote in message
What release of the intellipoint drivers is indicated by the .exe file for
intellipoint in System files?
Are you sure you are not trying to install the MAC 6.2 drivers or one for
the wrong version of Vista?
"John" wrote in message
Bump.

Any help out there?

Old June 20th 08, 09:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John[_37_]

Ok,

I figured out how to fix this.

Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Install it. Run the program; select Microsoft IntelliPoint; and hit the
Remove button.

Then run the install for the latest IntelliPoint software (in my case
version 8.20.182.0). Voila, it installs correctly.
Setting the Trackball Explorer options now works as expected.

Thanks for your help Curious,
John

"Curious" wrote in message
What release of the intellipoint drivers is indicated by the .exe file
for intellipoint in System files?
Are you sure you are not trying to install the MAC 6.2 drivers or one for
the wrong version of Vista?
"John" wrote in message
Bump.

Any help out there?