Default printer disappears in Word

Old June 17th 08, 04:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
lozan365

Default Default printer disappears in Word

Every time I open Word the default printer has "disappeared". I get an error
message saying the printer has not responded and asking whether I want to
wait. This makes printing very, very difficult. Does anyone have a solution.

I am using Vista Home edition, Office 2003 and the printer is an Epson D78.
I have installed the new driver for the D78 and Vista. I have uninstalled and
re-installed Word and the printer, but all to no avail.

Everything worked fine until about 3 days ago.
--
lozan365
Old June 17th 08, 09:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Did you try a System Restore to four days ago?
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

Old June 18th 08, 06:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
lozan365

Yes, I have tried a System Restore, but it makes no difference.

It is only in Word that the default printer disappers. For example, it is
still there in Excel even when it has disappeared in Word.

--
lozan365

Old June 27th 08, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
CNP

"lozan365" wrote in message
Every time I open Word the default printer has "disappeared". I get an
error
message saying the printer has not responded and asking whether I want
wait. This makes printing very, very difficult. Does anyone have a
solution.

I am using Vista Home edition, Office 2003 and the printer is an Epson
D78.
I have installed the new driver for the D78 and Vista. I have
uninstalled
and
re-installed Word and the printer, but all to no avail.

Everything worked fine until about 3 days ago.
--
lozan365

We use Windoes XP, but the issue is the same.

You might want to try this. Close Word. Then show hidden files and folders
in Windows... Locate the hidden file "Normal.dot" by either searching for it
or navigate to this directory "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates". Delete or rename any instance of Normal.dot. Start
word again and test.

This has worked for us many times before.

Good Luck