If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed

Old June 21st 08, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charles W Davis

Default If i got OEM Vista am i Screwed

Not true, the whole thing is a algorithm of how many different components. I
have changed a mother board and no problem with the system afterwards.
"Bender" wrote in message
My research a few months ago found that Microsoft considers the mother
board to the the heart of the computer and changing the mother board
constitutes a new computer.

"Bistey Csaba" wrote in message
Well it mentions device, but a device that "you may install the software
to" and the same device that "you may use a software on".

If we look that strict that means if you acquired OEM Vista with a piece
of hardware (like a cable ) there is no way installing/using it without
violating EULA.
(Well unless your acquired with a harddrive and it's internal DSP can run
it. (most likely not ))

Csaba

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
The Consumer_OEM EULA does not mention "computer." It uses the term
"device."

"2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. The software license is permanently
assigned to the device with which you acquired the software. That
device is the “licensed device.” A hardware partition or blade is
considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the
licensed device. You may use the software on up to two processors on
that device at one time. You may not use the software on any other
device."

In any event, the EULA does not address the issue of whether a component
or particular set of components constitute a new computer if changed
because it is an activation issue and not a licensing issue.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Bob Knowlden" wrote in message
No, you're not screwed.

It's not an official Microsoft article, but I believe that it is
correct.

The short version: you can upgrade anything except the motherboard.

Not true. The EULA that the user agrees to makes NO mention of the
motherboard. All it says is "New Computer" and then singularly fails to
define what a "new computer" is....

Apparently you can even do upgrades to the extent that would require
Vista to be activated again.You may be able to replace the motherboard
(with a different model) if it dies, but that would be at the
discretion of Microsoft.

No, at the discretion of the System Builder.

Old June 21st 08, 06:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Brandon W[_2_]

if you don't know im the original poster

Wow... i didn't expect so many replies

....wow i just thought vista would just prevent me from accessing my computer
untill i reinstalled the hardware i wasn't suppsed to change... i had no idea
their were legal issues

and just to be clear i have Bought my copy of Windows Vista Legally via
Newegg OEM.

That kind of sucks because the reason i asked was because i was planning on
upgrading my motherboard in about a year. I built a budget PC, most of my
parts are decent, but i really went cheap on the motherboard.

Hopefully there can be a mutual agreement on my next question. If i decide
to upgrade my motherboard should i purchase a new copy of vista, or should i
contact them asking if it is ok?
Old June 21st 08, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bistey Csaba

Well most likely Vista will prevent you accessing to your computer
(especially chipset differs on newe mobo) but that is not because of
licensing it is because it cant boot up on new hardware (with old mobo's
chipset drivers installed on it).

Before purchase i would switch to new mobo reinstall Vista at activation
you will have to call Microsoft (because key already in use), tell them
what happened, and let them decide. Most likely they will give you the
Activation ID to reactivate the product. But you should know that you
are the System Builder and they passed all warranty and support issues
to you. And they not have to reactivate Vista because of a motherboard
upgrade (most likely they will but they not have to).

This is the very reason i bought retail boxed product, aka changing
computer's parts often (3 motherboards, 2 processors, 8 ram modules, 2
GPUs,3 HDD's + checking parts from broken machines just since the relase
of Vista) and OEM is not an option (here).

Csaba

Old June 21st 08, 09:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bistey Csaba

NO, EULA gives the right to owner to install the software the device
with which he acquired the software with. (It's in EULA)

Thanks to OEM licensing changes (sblicense) that hole (aka buy oem with
a computer component) was closed:

Under the Software Distribution section of the Agreement, you will
notice it now states:

"4.1 We grant you a nonexclusive right to distribute an individual
software license only with a fully assembled computer system. A "fully
assembled computer system" means a computer system consisting of at
least a central processing unit, a motherboard, a hard drive, a power
supply, and a case."

You will notice the loophole that people have been exploiting (the
former language which stated that an OEM desktop Operating System
license could be sold with "non-peripheral hardware,") is no longer in
place. It is now very simple and straightforward: an OEM license must be
sold "only with a fully assembled computer system." Loophole closed.

Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/arc...07/461950.aspx

And still ones selling OEM with a Cat5 cable.

Csaba

Donald L McDaniel wrote:
NOT so, friend.
The EULA SPECIFICALLY gives the owner the right to install the
software on his licensed machine, if needed, as long as he legally
acquired the license (i.e., "didn't steal it"). There is definitely
NO question about that.

Old June 21st 08, 03:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Brandon, please read the NewEgg disclaimer on the Specifications tab of the
product description page for the product you bought. The purchaser is not
supposed to be the end user but the system builder who makes the computer
for sale to the end user.

Old June 21st 08, 03:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
Brandon, please read the NewEgg disclaimer on the Specifications tab of
the product description page for the product you bought. The purchaser is
not supposed to be the end user but the system builder who makes the
computer for sale to the end user.

So where does that leave someone who builds a system for their own use?

Old June 21st 08, 08:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote in message
He buys a retail copy of Windows. That's why there are retail copies.

But what is the definition of "System Builder"?

Old June 21st 08, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

If you have to ask, it ain't you. :-)

Unless you are willing to accept the fact that no one will provide the
support you expect, don't buy an OEM copy. Period.

If you expect or need little to no support then you are probably a system
builder and don't need to worry about it.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...