Vista Banter

-   -   Can't play disks (http://www.vistabanter.com/129126-cant-play-disks.html)

Dante June 20th 08 07:29 AM

Can't play disks

When I try to open a disk, the driver ejects it and it says please insert a
disk into drive. I tried uninstalling and installing the CD RW DRIVER, but
it still doesn't work. How can I fix this

Nonny June 20th 08 08:44 AM

Can't play disks

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 00:29:00 -0700, Dante
wrote:

When I try to open a disk, the driver ejects it and it says please insert a
disk into drive. I tried uninstalling and installing the CD RW DRIVER, but
it still doesn't work. How can I fix this

What kind of disc? Any kind or just a blank?

MORE INFO please.

Cari \(MS-MVP\) June 20th 08 09:30 PM

Can't play disks

Does the optical drive read ANY disks? Is it a CD burner or DVD burner? If
it's a DVD optical drive, will it read one or the other?

Chances are the laser is dirty, either use a CD cleaning kit, or replace the
drive. There are two lasers in a DVD drive, one for the CD side and one for
the DVD side. If the drive will read either CD or DVD (but not both) then
one of the lasers has died.
--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows

Cari \(MS-MVP\) June 21st 08 03:43 PM

Can't play disks

Dual layered is what I think you mean. Some commercial film DVDs were dual
sided when they first ccame out, widescreen on one side and standard pan and
scan on the other.

However, the optical drive doesn't care, it can't read both sides of a disk
at once.

Curious June 21st 08 05:42 PM

Can't play disks

Got you, I was confusing dual layer with dual sided.
Apparently it also depends on if you are using -r or -rw DVD disks for
recording.

http://dvr.about.com/od/dvdrecordabl...dlvsdouble.htm