Help!

Old December 6th 06, 11:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris Mattison

Default Help!

This is going to be kind of hard to explain, but if some of you geeks out
there could help me, please post to this!

I have...
One modem, hooked right into a router that acts as the DHCP server. This
router wirelessly transmits network connections and internet to a single
computer...this system works fine and is not in question.
This router is wired (which can act as a hub, but isn't) to a hub in another
room, which gives sends everything to a 360, another computer, etc...that
works fine, not problems.
The only thing I am having difficulties with is this...
I have another modem laying around that I would like to add to the
network...and I would like for each room (or computer) to be using one modem,
but still be on the home network to share files, etc.
Both modems have the same IP...is there some way I can have each computer
have a preferred MAC address, so they both don't use the same modem all the
time? Or can I just randomly put both on the network and hope for the best?
I know the ultimate answer is to get a router with two jacks for two
seperate modems...but I'm cheap and would rather do it another way...
Something I've even tried is installing an additional NIC into the wired
computer, and directly connecting the modem into it, while still having the
other connection to the network, and it still takes preferance to the modem I
wish it wouldn't use.

So, if someone could help...please! I'll do anything!

Both systems are using Vista x86, and the router is a DI-524 from D-Link.
The hub is a Gigafast router, with the DHCP server off, acting as a hub. Both
modems are the SurfBoard Motorola deals.
Old December 6th 06, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

If what you are trying to do is double your bandwidth by using two medems
then you need two phone lines and an ISP and a router that supports modem
bonding. One router that does this is the Netopia R2020.

http://www.netopia.com/equipment/pro...es_models.html

This link is dated but explains how it works.

http://www.modemhelp.org/reviews/newnov99.html

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old December 6th 06, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Eric Furness

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 03:41:00 -0800, Chris Mattison
wrote:

[...]

The cable company only provisions 1 modem per account.
Eric
Old December 6th 06, 09:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris Mattison

I do not want to double my bandwidth, per se, I just want it so my friend's
activities do not affect my internet's preformance.

We don't use phone lines around here for internet, as DSL is not offered.

And, as I mentioned, I know there is a way to do it with a special router,
but I would prefer not to have to purchase it.

I'm just looking for a way to have each computer have a prefered gateway,
but since each modem has the same ISP, I'm trying to find another way to
configure this...I thought maybe using the MAC addresses on each would work,
since I know they can't be the same.

Thanks.

Old December 6th 06, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris Mattison

Actually, they can provide more upon request. I've done it before.
But that isn't the point.
I happen to have two working modems. Two seperate, working, modems.

As I replied to Mr. Brown, I'm trying to figure out if I can set up a
prefered gateway for each computer without having to use IP settings, as both
modems have the same IP. I know thier MAC addresses are different, and I was
wondering if I can use that as a way to make each connection seperate.

Thanks.
Old December 7th 06, 01:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
David Vair

You will only get one IP address from your ISP and this is based on the MAC address of the cable
modem. They filter by the MAC address on their end.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

Old December 7th 06, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

OK. I totally misunderstood what you were trying to do. I read modem and
assumed dialup :-)

If the cable company will allow two modems then each modem needs to be
hooked up to it's own router. One router will use automatic settings and be
the DHCP server. The other router would have to have DHCP turned off and a
static IP on the LAN that is different from the first router. On computers
you want to use the second modem/router you would have to set with static
IP's and set the gateway to be the second modem/router. Here's an example

1st modem -- router set to 192.168.0.1 and set as the DHCP server
2nd modem -- router set to 192.168.0.2 and DHCP server turned off
1st pc -- set to use DHCP and it will use the 1st modem
2nd pc -- static IP set to 192.168.0.200, gateway set to 192.168.0.2, dns
set to ISP's dns server

Note: all static IP's eg. the second router and pc's that use it must be
outside of the scope of the DHCP server on the 1st router.

I hope this made sense.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old December 7th 06, 10:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Chris Mattison

Hey,

It all made alot of sense, and I think I get at what you're saying,
however it also made no sense...all at the same time.

It is going to be very hard to explain a diagram through words, so I was
wondering if you could scribble up a little dealy with Paint or something and
email it to me. I understand, as I said, but the when and the where and what,
and how is missing.

I had a thought, and I'm no expert...but maybe this would work?
Each router has one modem connected to it. Each router has a different
IP. So I set computer 1 to access 192.168.0.1 as its default gateway.
Computer 2 has 192.168.0.2 set as its default gateway.
But otherwise, everything is left connected much the same way as it is
now.
Would I still be able to maintain my network and filesharing?

Thanks.

Old December 7th 06, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

Yes, that is exactly what I said in different words. Only one of the routers
can be set as a DHCP server. You will have to set the gateway statically on
the computers that you want to use the router that is not the DHCP server.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User