multiple mice "profiles"

Old June 24th 08, 04:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jbiz

Default multiple mice "profiles"

I have a laptop with a touchpad that has certain settings for speed adjusted
fairly highly so the pointer moves fast. I also have a Bluetooth mouse that
when I use it, it uses those settings and the pointer moves too fast to be
useable. I have to go into the control panel and change the pointer speed to
adjust for the Bluetooth mouse.

Shouldn't there be some setting or maybe even a third-party app to control
multiple mouse profiles in Windows? Doesn't this seem like something that
should have been included with the OS from the start, maybe back in Win2K for
instance? I've seen others ask about this by searching Google but have not
found an answer. The closest thing I've seen is MultiPoint which is an answer
to a question I wasn't asking (multiple mouse pointers).

Anyone have a clue? A product suggestion for Microsoft maybe? Vista SP2?
Old June 24th 08, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rojo Habe[_3_]

Did the Bluetooth mouse come with its own driver? Some mice (my Razer
Diamondback for example) have their own applet to change settings
independently of the Microsoft applet. Conversely, does the touchpad have
its own applet? When I say that I mean something other than Control
Panel -- Mouse that lets you adjust the settings, either by a tray icon or
a separate Control Panel applet.

If both of these devices have their own applet then you could set the
standard Control Panel -- Mouse settings to something fairly standard (or
leave it at its default settings) and use the individual software for each
device to control the settings. If one has its own applet and the other
doesn't, use the Microsoft applet for the one that doesn't and the third
party software for the one that does.

There's a possible drawback: sometimes even if a pointing device comes with
its own software, all it does is act as an interface that's really adjusting
the Microsoft settings anyway. If this is the case with yours, the above
won't work.

Hope this makes sense.

Old June 24th 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
jbiz

The touchpad is a Synaptics touchpad, for pointer speed it uses the Microsoft
settings. The mouse is a Logitech, and I believe I tried installing the
Logitech (SetPoint?) software and did not like the results. I believe the
Logitech uses the Microsoft settings anyways.

I think this feature should be built into the operating system.

Anyone know of another way?