Microphone does not work

Old June 25th 08, 12:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
kokojoe44

Default Microphone does not work

I've tried all the solutions I can think of...followed the trouble shooting
guide, but when I open up the Speaker Properties, and go to Levels to see if
my microphone is muted....all I see is the volume level.....no phone line,
Line In, Aux, Microphone....What else can I try......(frustrated)
Old June 25th 08, 01:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirit

Right Click Sound Icon (Little Speaker) near Clock - Properties
Sounds - Recording Tab - Mic - Configure and Properties

Old June 25th 08, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
John Barnett MVP[_3_]

Click on the Speaker in the notification area. When the volume mixer opens
click on the word 'Device' situated just under the legend Volume Mixer.
Does it show more than one set of speakers? For example mine shows:

Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers (Bluetooth SCO Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speaker (Bluetooth AV Audio)

Is there a tick mark next to the 'Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)'?
That is assuming your PC is using Realtek Audio. It may be that you need to
re-install (or update) the Realtek audio.

John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

Old July 6th 08, 11:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cyberbiker[_2_]

kokojoe44;758288 Wrote:
...all I see is the volume level.....no phone line,
Line In, Aux, Microphone...This is what the upper section of the Mic Levels tab should look like

(for Vista 64 Home Prem):

[image: http://www.geocities.com/ybiz/miclevelwidow.jpg]

Are you saying you do not get that little speaker button to the right
of the Microphone slider bar?

For some reason the mic no longer switches automatically between laptop
and headset when I plug in a headset. Instead, I need to open the
Recording tab in the sound Control Panel, set the headset mic as
default, then open the Levels tab and unmute the mic button to the right
of the level slider. When I pull out the headset mic jack I need to
reset the laptop mic as default and unmute the Levels mic button.

I have all the latest Windows software updates and the headset mic uses
standard Windows drivers. Apparently many recording software packages
(like Skype and Audacity) have trouble identifying the recording device
with the current updates of Vista 64 (not sure about 32).

The speaker default setting correctly switches automatically between
laptop and headset properly as you plug in a headset or remove it.

--
cyberbiker

-hp tx2000z laptop, vista home premium 64 sp1, amd turion 64 x2 tl-68
2.4ghz, nvidia geforce go 6150, 4gb transcend 667mhz ram, 8 cell
battery.-
Old July 7th 08, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cyberbiker[_2_]

Problem solved. Learned a lesson a few minutes ago. My speaker and mic
drivers are Realtec. The last HP update for them was Jan08. I went to
'Realtek' (http://www.realtek.com/downloads) , and downloaded the HD
Audio Codec Driver current package for Vista (R1.97). It fixed all the
mic and speaker problems that were caused by an earlier version. Now the
mic and speakers switch automatically as I plug in a headset with all my
recording software.arty:

The computer manufacturers don't have time to keep up with software
updates (at least not HP) so they fall way behind.