ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card 8x AGP 256MB DDR?

Old December 7th 06, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

Default ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card 8x AGP 256MB DDR?

ATI Radeon 9550 Video Card 8x AGP 256MB DDR

I've been looking at the system requirements for Ati Radeon 9500 on Ati/AMD
website, retail, website and notice that it does not display any Power
supply requirements. My system has 200 watts with Ati 9200 128mb memory.
Anyone Know the Power supply requirements for Ati Radeon 9550 Video Card? Can
i run Ati Radeon 9500 on my system? will the graphic card adjust the memory
to 128mb ddr?
Old December 7th 06, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

A power supply supports an entire system. The MOBO, the Memory, the Memory
and all of the disk drives in addition to other PC cards installed in the
system such as the Graphics card. You have to be concerned when looking at
a new Power Supplys to see if they are rating the power as the input power
or the output power.
After a Power Supply problem with an ATI card frezzing I had a couple of
years was fixed by upgrading my PS to a supply with Watts output I have not
had any PS problems and recommend that it you do skimp on the size of a new
supply.

Old December 7th 06, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

the problem is that i can not find a power supply that would fit on my HP
computer and this is one of the reason. Power supply i need 6.00" Wide X
3.25" Tall X 4" Deep and 2.03 which is very difficult to find.

Do you think bestbuy or circuitcity will have a replacement and will offer
a 250-300 power supply for a fee that would fit on my computer enough to run
the graphic card, if i upgrade a graphic card on there store.

Old December 7th 06, 06:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

I don't think either BB or CC will have the supply you need if you can't
easily find it yourself. Possibly CompUSA or a PC store that caters to
small business like PC Club. But most likely you will have to find one on
one of the Big PC parts stores on the Internet like CDW or Egghead.com.

Old December 7th 06, 06:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DCR

Best Buy does offer in-store installations at a very reasonable price.
And the last time I was there they had a few power supplies on display.
Why don't you just drop (bring a ruler) by and have a look and discuss
it with a sales person?

Old December 7th 06, 06:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

If you don't currently have the 9550 card you may want to consider a newer
generation ATI card such as a X1600 Pro or another member of the X1xx
family.

Old December 7th 06, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
GT

I don't have Ati 9500 but 3 months ago i tried Visiontek Radeon X1300 512mb
extreme gamer edtion and a 350 power ATX power supply that barely fit But i
was not happy about the 350 power supply length since i had to force it in to
fit. So i had to return both item and put the original parts back. I can't
upgrade my graphic card until i get a 250 or 350 power supply that would fit.

Old December 8th 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hurricane Andrew

The problem is most if not all of the HP/Compaq systems have proprietary
PSU's. We've had three PSU's on our Compaq's up and die on us, and a
standard ATX PSU doesn't fit.

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a PSU that will fit without
modifying the case a bit. The only suggestion would be getting one from HP
directly, but I can promise you that it will be awfully expensive. It would
probably be cheaper to just get a new case and PSU and move everything to
the new box, if you're comfortable doing that.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew

Old December 8th 06, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

That doesn't always workout well either. Some HP/Compaq motherboards have
non-standard mounting points.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old December 8th 06, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hurricane Andrew

Excellent point. I wish all OEM's would cut this out, unfortunately it's
not in their own best interests to do so.

--
"Hurricane" Andrew