Vista Banter

-   -   hard disk making a strange clicking sound (http://www.vistabanter.com/130022-hard-disk-making-strange-clicking-sound.html)

dellbox June 25th 08 06:11 PM

hard disk making a strange clicking sound

My external hard drive, Western Digital, is making a strange sound
whenever I plug it to the computer. It goes like "click, click, click"
and then it stops. It sounds like it tries to boot up but it couldn't.
The drive doesn't show up in my computer but shows up in device
manager. Is there any way that I can access the hard drive or get my
files back? Thank you.

--
dellbox

Colin Barnhorst[_2_] June 25th 08 09:43 PM

hard disk making a strange clicking sound

As you may suspect, your hard drive is failing. Based on your report you
will need recovery software or a service (most local computer shops are set
up for this). Do NOT continue trying to access a failing drive if you still
hope to get data from it. It will fail completely on you. It may already
have. I use some software from OnTrack for hard disk recovery (seldom but
vital when needed).
http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/d...very-software/

You should try your computer shop first.