Vista Ultimate 64-bit 8GB on ASUS 3A32-MVP Deluxe

Old June 27th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MrKit

Default Vista Ultimate 64-bit 8GB on ASUS 3A32-MVP Deluxe

I have an ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe Series Wifi Edition motherboard, which is
capable of running 8GB of RAM. In have a Phenom 9500 quad-core cpu, which is
64-bit. I have 4 DIMMS of KVR667D2N5/2G, which is the RAM the motherboard
manufacturer says runs in the board at 8GB.

I run Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Sp1 and Windows XP Pro SP 2 as
dual-booting Os'.

I cannot boot to the desktop with 4GB of RAM in, and have tried all the RAM
DIMMS alone and in 4GB configurations of all which works. It is in continual
reboot with 8GB installed.

I tried the KB929777 patch for 64-bit Vista, but it reported that it is not
for this system.

ASUS claims that the master boot record is the problem, but VISTA always
crashes before it will let me fix the master boot record, or reinstall Vista
or anything.

If you can help, please do so.
Old June 27th 08, 07:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Remove XP. Find out how to run Vista at 8GB before you consider doing
anything else. You have to establish if the chipset can even support Vista
x64 on your board with four dimms installed. I believe you are using DDR2
667 memory so that should not be the issue. The problem is probably one of
timings and not software.

Old June 29th 08, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MrKit

Thanks, but not thanks. I am not going to destroy my XP installation and then
go through later on reinstalling it, begging on the phone for Microsoft to
activate it because it has been reinstalled so many times (back when
Microsoft insisted I uninstall it in order to get support - now at least my
support has run out and I can't afford their paid support for this overpriced
OS).

Taking away the functionality I have is not the answer.

Kingston, the DIMM manufacturer, gave me the timing and other settings for
the memory. It is also programmed on the DIMMS themselves, to be read
directly by the BIOS. And, since the BIOS properly reports the 8GB of RAM,
which is prior to the OS running, the DIMMS are working properly. It MUST be
an OS issue.

The BIOS accepts the RAM. It is the OS (XP Pro and Vista) that are having
the problem.

Remember, I tested each DIMM independently and then with another. They work.
The system will boot with 1GB, 2 GB, or 4GB using those exact DIMMS. It just
will not boot once the total is over 4GB.

The motherboard and memory manufacturers say it is an OS issue. I'm no
expert, but what little I know seems to indicate that they are right.

Old June 29th 08, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Incorrect. The POST showing all the ram is important but does not mean an
OS will be stable. This is a known issue and involves many hardware issues.
A 64bit OS is more demanding on a memory controller than a 32bit OS even in
4GB of ram. It is called the "fourth damn dimm" problem and you probably
won't find a software solution.

Just because a mobo is spec'd to support 8GB of ram and spec'd to support
certain dram speeds does NOT mean that the board can support 8GB at the
higher rated speeds using a 64bit OS.

But I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject.

Old June 29th 08, 05:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Maybe the information in the following link will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Old June 29th 08, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Curious, that is specific to 32bit Vista. The OP's issue is an unstable
computer running 64bit Windows on 8GB.

The integrated memory controller in the phenom quad he is using may not be
able to handle the configuration. I have read that there are issues like
that with some phenoms. However, the OP insists it must be Vista because
the mobo maker couldn't have gotten it wrong.

Oh well.

Old June 29th 08, 07:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

"Curious" wrote in message
Maybe the information in the following link will help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

Yes, Asus have got it wrong before. My old machine says it can take up
to 2MB but install that and it reports something off the wall like 50
bytes or something and crashes. New BIOS does not fix, it is a hardware
addressing defect apparently.

Old June 30th 08, 01:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MrKit

I never claimed to have superior knowledge of the subject. I just gave my
reasons for coming to the conclusion that it was a software problem. Again,
each DIMM works perfectly well on its own or in combination with any other of
them. It is only when 3 or 4 are used that the problem occurs.

I have extensively tested the hardware and software to determine the cause
and solution. Now, if I arrive at an improper conclusion, I am teachable and
willing to try other things. I am just not willing to uninstall Windows XP
Pro in order to try and fix something in Windows Vista. Giving an answer here
does not mean the recipient MUST obey everything you say to do.

I think your comment "But I bow to your superior knowledge of the subject"
is unhelpful and downright rude. I want help from someone who wants to help
me rather than someone who wants to ridicule me. This is a computer issue,
which should be unemotional. I just want to solve it without the personality
issues.

Old June 30th 08, 01:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
MrKit

On the surface I would agree with you about ASUS. They can and do make
mistakes or misrepresent things in order to sell their products sometimes, or
to keep from fulfilling their duties as spelled out in their warranty.
However, I did talk to the people at Kingston, who tested the motherboard
model at 8GB with their memory. They are the originators of the claim that
the board could run at 8GBs using this particular memory model.

It is possible, I suppose, that the memory controller on the Phenom is the
problem, but what I need is a definate test to make absolute certain that
this is the cause. If it is, I can then attack it from there, fixing the
problem or returning/replacing the cpu. However, this would be too expensive
unless there was solid, verifiable evidence that the memory controller is the
problem.

I know nothing of memory controllers on cpus. I just first heard about them
a few days ago. So, I don't know how they work or anything. However, it just
seems to me that if the BIOS accepts and reports the 8GBs, then doesn't than
mean the motherboard and cpu have also accepted it? I am willing to contact
the cpu manufacturer. I just need to learn more about the memory controller
on the cpu, and whether there is a clear test to determine whether it is the
culprit.

Old June 30th 08, 03:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

The problem is timings while accessing the memory. The BIOS is simply
reporting the presence of devices compatible with the mobo. The BIOS is not
predicting success of an installed OS.

For mobo manufacturers and cpu makers, it is a real estate problem. That is
why I call it the "fourth damn dimm" problem sometimes. The electrical
distance out and back from the memory controller to the furthest dimm
determines the maximum frequency that can be supported and also sustain
stability. There is a point at which the memory controller is overwhelmed
or cannot keep up. Slightly increasing the dram voltage (no more than 0.1v)
can help in a marginal situation as can lowering the dram speed if the
highest rated ram for the mobo is in use. I think you are already using 667
ram which is a very comfortable dram speed for current boards so I don't see
that as an issue. But the memory controller is integrated on the Phenom so
while the cpu is compatible with the board and 8GB of ram is compatible with
the board, is your model Phenom AND 8GB of your ram compatible on your mobo?
That is the question. It is never the individual component specs but the
combination that is such a headache to work out at times.