Dual Link DVI

Old June 28th 08, 01:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

Default Dual Link DVI

What does Dual Link DVI actually mean?
Does it mean you can run two monitors on the one DVI connection?

Mickey

Old June 28th 08, 01:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
peter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

peter

Old June 28th 08, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

No, dual link DVI just increases the bandwidth (and number of pins on the
actual interface) from 1920 x 1080 (single link) resolution vs dual link
2048 x 1536.

Some cards will allow you to use both outputs on a card, but not all. If you
open your display manager, it may list two monitors (or two outputs on your
video card). Install another monitor, and it should show up on there, and
you can extend the desktop or clone the display.

--

Dustin Harper

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

Old June 28th 08, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Huh, I have never heard of a card that has a single dual link DVI connector
that will support 2 separate single link DVI outputs.
Of course cards that have two DVI

Old June 28th 08, 02:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

I stand by my statement: "...use both outputs on a card,..." If it has 2 DVI
(or one DVI, and one analog VGA) you may be able to use both outputs.
A single dual link DVI cannot.