vista freezup

Old June 28th 08, 03:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shane

Default vista freezup

my vista freezes during installation.
yes, my hard drive was brand new and clean. im wondering if i should try the
32bit vista. the 64bit disk i had was a brand new oem disk with no scratches.
after my vista failed, i loaded a bootleg copy of xp onto the pc and that
installed fine. i think it was a 32bit. all my parts are brand new. i bought
the vista a couple months ago and had the problem then too. so it should be a
recent version. i brought the pc to a computer repair guy in town and he had
the same problem with it. it kept freezing. so i sent it bag to newegg.com
and they replied that they tested it and it worked fine even though me and
the repairman had the same freeze issue. here are the parts in my computer.
the os is Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single
Pack DVD - OEM

processor - AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Quad-Core Processor

memory - A-DATA 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-MA790FX-DS5 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX Ultra Durable
II AMD Motherboard

cd drive - Pioneer Blu-Ray Reader and 12X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model
BDC-2202B (pc also gave me a message saying it wasnt a pioneer qualified
machine, whats that about?)

video card - ASUS EAH3870X2/G/HTDI/1G Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB (512MB x 2)
512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire
Supported Video Card

hard drive - Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
Hard Drive

i also dont have many fans, may that be the problem?
please help

Old June 28th 08, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

It's a known problem with some motherboards when more than 3GB are
installed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

Remove two of the RAM sticks so you have 2GB. Install Vista. Install SP1,
Put the RAM back in.

--
Kerry Brown
http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

Old July 1st 08, 10:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Shane

hi. i tried removing some of the memory like you told me and my 64bit vista
is still freezing during installation. i reformatted the hardrive as well,
and still nothing. what else should i do.
Old July 1st 08, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

Without seeing the system it's hard to troubleshoot further. I'd suspect a
hardware or driver problem. Make sure the BIOS is set to it's default
settings. Try installing a standard IDE DVD drive and installing Vista from
it.