Search partial file name

Old June 29th 08, 06:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
gamerguy

Default Search partial file name

Where is the setting on Vista which lets you change your search settings, so
that you can search only part of the file name, and the file will come up.
Someone changed it on my dad's computer, and I have been looking for about an
hour, and I still can't find it.
Old June 30th 08, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave Wood [MSFT]

Control Panel - "Folder Options" - "Search" - "Find Partial Matches".

Or you can get there from an explorer windows "Organize" - "Folder & Search
Options"

Dave Wood

Old January 18th 09, 08:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
druekberg

I have "Find partial matches" checked -- and have since the first day I
had the system, but it still won't find partial filenames. It finds
contents with partial matches, but not the files themselves. This is a
step backward from XP.

--
druekberg
Old January 18th 09, 11:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Retroman

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:29:41 -0600, druekberg
wrote:

I have "Find partial matches" checked -- and have since the first day I
had the system, but it still won't find partial filenames. It finds
contents with partial matches, but not the files themselves. This is a
step backward from XP.

That's odd, partial file name searches work perfectly here in WDS 4. To
enable others to reproduce what you see, please give details. Include
your version of Windows and your version of Windows Desktop Search. Also
include the text of a query that fails, and an example file name that
cannot be found. Also, are you searching indexed locations? Where are
you running the search from (Win Explorer, start menu, or search-ms
dialog)?

Doug M. in NJ
Old January 19th 09, 04:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
druekberg

Seems to be working now. I unchecked "Find partial," hit "apply" and
closed the window, then went back and checked it. I also unchecked
"Search filenames and contents" and checked "file names only." I don't
know if that helped, but something worked.

The new annoyance is not being able to do an advanced search until a
regular search completes (e.g searching by size or date). Or maybe I'm
missing something, but it's not obvious as it was in XP.

--
druekberg
Old January 19th 09, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Retroman

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 22:32:17 -0600, druekberg
wrote:

The new annoyance is not being able to do an advanced search until a
regular search completes (e.g searching by size or date). Or maybe I'm
missing something, but it's not obvious as it was in XP.

For quick access to Advanced Search, use the keyboard shortcut Win key + F
to show the search window, instead of opening Win Explorer. The Advanced
Search button will be on the far right.

Doug M. in NJ