Need to replace mouse on desktop set

Old June 29th 08, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Fallstar

Default Need to replace mouse on desktop set

I have been using a Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard and mouse set for several
years. They share one wireless receiver. But over the last month my mouse is
always double-clicking for every single click I make, and is driving me
crazy! So I would like to just replace the mouse.

Is it possible to replace the mouse with another MS wireless laser mouse,
and use the same receiver from the original desktop set? I don't want to
replace the whole set, as the keyboard works fine, and it cost me $100 when I
bought it. /

Old June 29th 08, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

Fallstar wrote:

I have been using a Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard and mouse set for
several years. They share one wireless receiver. But over the last month
my mouse is always double-clicking for every single click I make, and is
driving me crazy! So I would like to just replace the mouse.

Is it possible to replace the mouse with another MS wireless laser mouse,
and use the same receiver from the original desktop set? I don't want to
replace the whole set, as the keyboard works fine, and it cost me $100
when I bought it. /

You will need to contact the Desktop/Mouse mftr. to ask them that question.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old June 30th 08, 08:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Thackery[_2_]

But over the last month my mouse is
always double-clicking for every single click I make, and is driving me
crazy!

This is quite common - the microswitch goes noisy.

If the manufacturer can't help, perhaps you could find a local electronics
hobbyist or repair shop, and ask them to change the microswitch. A good
workaround, if the microswitch is a type not easily available, is simply to
swap the left and right switches. They are almost always identical.

SteveT

Old June 30th 08, 06:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Fallstar

This is quite common - the microswitch goes noisy.

If the manufacturer can't help, perhaps you could find a local electronics
hobbyist or repair shop, and ask them to change the microswitch. A good
workaround, if the microswitch is a type not easily available, is simply to
swap the left and right switches. They are almost always identical.

Thank you for your reply Steve! Where is the microswitch located, inside the
mouse? I'm not sure how to go about disassembling the mouse, but will give it
a try...with the help of the techs at work.
Old June 30th 08, 07:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Thank you for your reply Steve! Where is the microswitch located, inside
the
mouse? I'm not sure how to go about disassembling the mouse, but will give
it
a try...with the help of the techs at work.

Yes, to an electronics techie it will be relatively straightforward (I've
done it a few times myself - Microsoft mice seem slightly more prone to it
than Logitech).

The microswitches are usually mounted on a circuit board, just underneath
the left and right buttons (there's one under the scroll wheel too, but I've
never known on go noisy as they are rarely used).

You will have to dismantle the mouse, so you should be aware that there is a
risk it will all go horribly wrong!

STeveT