Cd Drives Mulfunctioning

Old June 30th 08, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The_power99[_2_]

Default Cd Drives Mulfunctioning

At our house we have 4 HP Compaq nx6325 laptops, they came with Win xp on
them but have the windows vista capable logo on them. We have upgraded two of
them with windows vista home basic which has been working fine in most cases.
But their seems to be something wrong with the cd drives. Sometimes when the
computers are turned on the CD drives are missing in the "computer" location
and when this is the case if you put a CD in it will no work. But a quick
restart and it will work fine. This is the case with the two vista laptops.
The XP ones, one works perfectly and the other will only read some discs
(like music CD's).

Secondly my personal vista laptops CD drive used to be fine but i was having
a hard drive problem and got a new one installed vista onto it and then i had
this problem.

Just to clarify my vista laptop used to work fine the other did not, i got a
new hard drive installed vista again and then had the same problem as the
other one.

Our computers are fully updated with all the HP vista updates and service
pack 1. i have tried manually updating the CD drive drivers but could not
find any either in the internet or through device manager.

any help would be gratefully appreciated,
thanks in advance.

Old July 2nd 08, 03:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The_power99[_3_]

I read the article and tried to do what it had said but in the registry
editor their was only a Upper Filters entry, does this matter? should i just
delete it as the article says or is their something wrong if their is no
lower filters entry??

Old July 2nd 08, 05:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The Power99

This has fixed my vista laptop, thanks for the help guys!!

Anyone have any ideas how to fix the Windows XP laptop that only reads some
disc as mentioned above?

Old July 2nd 08, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
The Power99

Its really hard to tell. There seems to be no consistent pattern. It reads
some music Cds and some game dvds/movie dvds (for example it read C&C
Tiberium wars and its expansion but not age of empires 3 expansion) but
beyond that i cannot see anything similar. As for formats they seem to be
irrelevant to whether it works or not,

this might be unimportant but could it possibly the speed that the disc was
burnt at that is the factor?? even though the other identical laptops can
read the same discs

thanks for the help
Old July 2nd 08, 03:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

It certainly could. Burn speed was critical to us downloading new builds
for Vista beta. The slowest possible burn speed was the most successful.
Dvds we burned at "normal" speeds failed half the time.

If these are discs you burn yourself then burn speed is very likely a
factor. Speed and quality are definitely trade-offs when burning media.

news