directX only recognise 3326mb

Old June 30th 08, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tr3

Default directX only recognise 3326mb

-*can somebody help me with this problem,im using vista ultimate x64
with 4gb ram,512mb vga card,celeron d.my problem is why my directX only
recognise 3326mb while the windows and bios startup showing 4096mb(4gb)
plz anyone here tell me how to configure this problem
:cry:*-:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

--
tr3
Old July 1st 08, 02:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

tr3 wrote:

-*can somebody help me with this problem,im using vista ultimate x64
with 4gb ram,512mb vga card,celeron d.my problem is why my directX only
recognise 3326mb while the windows and bios startup showing 4096mb(4gb)
plz anyone here tell me how to configure this problem
:cry:*-:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Spare everyone the emoticons.

Old July 1st 08, 02:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Dustin Harper

And you are showing that you are using the x64 version of Vista? It sounds
like it is the 32 bit limit that is causing it. It sounds about right with
it showing that much RAM.

--

Dustin Harper

Was this helpful? Then click the Ratings button. Voting helps the web
interface.
http://www.microsoft.com/wn3/locales...eAPostAsAnswer

Old July 1st 08, 05:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
tr3

i think the problem is with the directX it self coz the windows is
showing full of my memory,so how do you have any suggestion or maybe the
microsofts me upgrade the DirectX

--
tr3
Old July 1st 08, 05:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Check the system info page (winkey + pause/break). If it shows "64-bit
operating system" next to System then you are probably right. If it does
not then you are probably seeing the correct amount available to Windows
regardless of the 4GB of ram shown by the BIOS during POST and showing on
the system info page.

Old July 1st 08, 10:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Apparently DirectX wasn't updated with SP1 - mine also shows less than 4gb
memory installed also. Whatever it shows isn't going to impact system
performance or gaming performance, just as the "3gb versus 4gb" change from
Vista Gold to Vista SP1 doesn't make any difference. The computer accesses
the memory it can no matter what the display shows.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old July 1st 08, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

The change with SP1 does not affect what you always have seen when you type
'winver' so it wouldn't change what DirectX shows either.

I am not running 32bit Vista on anything but I have heard that if you run
32bit Vista with 8GB in the box, 8GB shows in system information but winver
shows the same as it would on a machine with 4GB because that is all 32bit
Windows can address.

It is not clear to me that the SP1 change was useful after all.

Old July 2nd 08, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

It wasn't useful at all - IMHO it was marketing plain and simple. People
were mad because they had 4gb, 6gb, etc. of memory and it "wasn't showing
up". Now it shows up but it still can't be used.

Old July 2nd 08, 12:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Tom Lake[_2_]

"Richard G. Harper" wrote in message
news
It wasn't useful at all - IMHO it was marketing plain and simple. People
were mad because they had 4gb, 6gb, etc. of memory and it "wasn't showing
up". Now it shows up but it still can't be used.

It was VERY useful to MS tech support people who had to field angry
calls from users before! 8^)

Tom Lake

Old July 2nd 08, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

I too have had the hunch that MS gave up explaining and let the novices have
what they asked for. They weren't asking the right question, of course.
Like the saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you may get it."