Microphone Mute as default, need help

Old July 1st 08, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Perfk

Default Microphone Mute as default, need help

Hey, i am having this problem that i cant get any sound when i speak into my
microphone. when i was running XP it worked, no problems. then i switched to
Vista, and all hell broke lose..

i have been reading about this problem all over the interenet. iam not a
alone.

well what i came up with is this:

The recording device is muted from default. well all fine. if i could go in
and change it... I CANT.

this is how it should look.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Que...&RenderKey=XML

this is how it does look at me

http://peecee.dk/uploads/072008/Vist..._big_thumb.jpg

What can i do to get it to work?
Old July 2nd 08, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cyberbiker[_2_]

If you search "Vista mutes mic" you'll find a lot of people are having
the problem. Not sure whether it was a recent update that is causing it
or what.

I use both the laptop mic and the a headset mic depending on where I am
and find there is some "remembered" settings between Skype and Vista
that mute the mic if Skype (or whatever application I am using the mic
with) is live as I change from laptop mic to a headset mic.

To fix it I did the following.
1. In the application you wish to use the mic with choose the "Windows
Default" setting for speakers and mic. Do not check anything similar to
"Let this application adjust audio settings"
2. Close the application completely.
3. Open Sound control panel.
4. Choose "Recording".
5. Right click on the mic you are using (computer or headset mic),
uncheck "show disabled devices" and click "show disconnected devices".
6. If the mic you want is not set as default (the one with the
checkmark), select it as default.
7. Highlight it and choose Properties.
8. Choose the Advanced tab and select Restore Defaults. That should
check both boxes for "Allow applications to take exclusive control" and
"Give exclusive mode applications priority".
9. Choose the Levels tab and uncheck the mute effect on the speaker to
the right of the microphone volume slider. Then set the volume and boost
where you want it.
10. Check OK for the Recording window and OK for the Sound window.
11. Reopen the application you wanted to use the mic with and test it.

Hope that worked.

--
cyberbiker

-hp tx2000z laptop, vista home premium 64 sp1, amd turion 64 x2 tl-68
2.4ghz, nvidia geforce go 6150, 4gb transcend 667mhz ram, 8 cell
battery.-
Old July 4th 08, 09:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Perfk

..... well you just aswered what evry one else have said, over and over again,
in all of the other topics.. so no that did not help.

please read what i said again, my problem is defirent. i dont have the
"umute option under levels...."

Old July 6th 08, 10:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cyberbiker[_2_]

What version of Vista are you using? Mine looks like yours. I think
yours is the Vista 64 view.

In order to make the laptop mic remain unmuted, I needed to mute the
headset mic first. Then change the laptop mic to the default mic. Same
with the speakers. All this was automatic with XPand for a while in
Vista 64 Home Premium SP!; but some update seems to have screwed the
automatic capability up. Pain in the tail.

If I go through the drill each time you switch between laptop &
headset, the sound and mics work properly.

Old July 7th 08, 01:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
cyberbiker[_2_]

Problem solved. Learned a lesson a few minutes ago. My speaker and mic
drivers are Realtec. The last HP update for them was Jan08. I went to
'Realtek' (http://www.realtek.com/downloads) , and downloaded the HD
Audio Codec Driver current package for Vista (R1.97). It fixed all the
mic and speaker problems that were caused by an earlier version. Now the
mic and speakers switch automatically as I plug in a headset with all my
recording software.arty:

The computer manufacturers don't have time to keep up with software
updates (at least not HP) so they fall way behind.