Slow printing on network and local printer in Vista

Old July 2nd 08, 04:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
LVTravel[_2_]

Default Slow printing on network and local printer in Vista

I originally posted this 6-24 on only the Vista Printer_fax_scan NG with no
response. Multiposted now to broaden the range of people seeing the post.
Really need assistance. TIA.

I have a laptop (new HP) with Vista Home Premium SP1 preinstalled, 3 GB RAM,
250GB HDD, AMD Turion 64 processor. Using Zone Alarm free as firewall and
AVG 8 free as antivirus. Know that firewall is not issue since have full
access to printers (can ping the network connected printers) and all other
networked computers without problem. I understand that AVG has had a
printing issue in the past but I totally turned off AVG by uninstalling it
and this did not clear the issue with printing.

Out of the box I have connected the new laptop to the following printers
using the latest drivers available from the manufacturers or using Vista's
built in if the drivers aren't available from manufacturer's web site.

The following are connected through the home network via wireless and work
flawlessly with 3 laptops running XP Pro (2) and XP Home (1).
HP 2200DN - B & W Laser (network with Cat5e cable through WAP/Switch)
OKIDATA 5150 - Color laser (network with Cat5e cable through WAP/Switch)
Epson 1280 (connected through a Sony XP computer share)
Epson R260 (also connected through the Sony XP computer)

The last printer is a Canon BJC80 which is connected via a USB to Parallel
printer cable (Belkin) which works great with no delay on any of the laptops
running XP.

My problem. When I print to any of the printers with any of the XP machines
the print job starts immediately and printing is accomplished quickly with
the queue clearing immediately after the job is done. Whenever I print any
of the same documents (Word, Publisher, emails (Live Mail), web sites,
PowerPoint, etc.) to any of the printers using Vista it may take as much as
an hour to start printing and may not close out the job in the printer queue
at all or it may take up to another hour for Vista to clear it. Some times
printing the same job twice the first job prints immediately but the second
job may take that hour.

I have attempted to play with the settings on the BJC80 (which is what I use
on the road) and again it will occasionally print quickly but most times it
takes at least 15 minutes for the print queue to be "loaded" with the job
(even a one page print from Word with only one word on it.) I have changed
the settings on the driver to print directly to the printer, rebooted and
tried to print and this didn't change anything so changed that back (I found
this works better for this printer under XP and have it set that way on each
of the XP machines for this printer.)

I haven't found anything on any of the Vista newsgroups that would assist me
in finding an solution to my problem, so any suggestions to try?

Old July 2nd 08, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mick Murphy

Cross post; DON'T multi-post!
If you multi-post, the answers you receive stay in the newsgroup where they
are posted.
Other newsgroup posters are in the dark!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"LVTravel" wrote:

[...]

Old July 2nd 08, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
Mick Murphy

Sorry; you DID cross post!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"LVTravel" wrote:

[...]

Old July 2nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Nonny

Mick Murphy wrote:

Cross post; DON'T multi-post!
If you multi-post, the answers you receive stay in the newsgroup where they
are posted.
Other newsgroup posters are in the dark!

Mick Murphy wrote:

Sorry; you DID cross post!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Priceless! LOL.
Old July 2nd 08, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
PD43[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 15:50:20 -0500, Nonny
wrote:

Mick Murphy wrote:

Cross post; DON'T multi-post!
If you multi-post, the answers you receive stay in the newsgroup where they
are posted.
Other newsgroup posters are in the dark!

Mick Murphy wrote:

Sorry; you DID cross post!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Priceless! LOL.

Some of his posts are really entertaining... probably not to those
he's replying to though!

Old July 3rd 08, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup,microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing,microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan
LVTravel[_2_]

Sorry to confuse you. Actually I was confused myself when I wrote
"Multiposted" instead of "Crossposted" in my OP! That is where this problem
has led me, total confusion.