Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?

Old December 8th 06, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
David

Default Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?

Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? I can't find the
information in microsoft website.
Old December 8th 06, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

No, you will have to use the XP product key.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old December 10th 06, 06:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

David

You cannot use a Product Key for a version of Windows to install a different version of Windows.

Sorry if you this is not what you want to hear, but Dell Sales is wrong.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old December 19th 06, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Rick Traynor wrote:
If you purchase a volume licence copy of vista, then you receive
downgrade rights.

I doubt that the OP is ready to purchase 5 licenses (minimum required for a Volume License purchase) to get 1 version of XP installed.

He said a vista "licence" not key :-)

Purchasing a "license" without a "Key" is only optional if you are adding a license to a Volume License purchase.

Try to read the post thoroughly before replying.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Old December 27th 06, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Ricky Traynor

Did you actually read the original post yourself?

Without details of the original posters licensing situation we cannot
clarify the situation to the benefit of the original poster. However, I have
to raise issue with your comments regardless...

5 licenses are not required, I personaly have purchased a single Vista
license on an exisitng open license authorisation number, in this case the
eopen website provided a Windows Vista key and a Windows XP volume key for
my use for a single licensed copy of vista.
Retail copies of vista are not available yet (Apart from MSDN etc),
therefore I was assuming that the original poster was a volume business
customer.
The original poster simply asked if a vista licence could be used to install
a copy of XP. If an XP key is provided with the vista licence then the
answer is yes.

How oem licences work with regards to downgrade rights I am not sure.