Vista looses slave drive...

Old July 4th 08, 07:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
[email protected]

Default Vista looses slave drive...

Hi all.

I am new-new-new to Vista. Don't know enough (about bios or any of
that) to research my issue.

Here's my deal...if I leave the computer on for a few days or what not
my computer looses my slave drive. This drive is what I keep my pics
and music on...

When I reboot the drive re-appears. Any ideas as to why? This has just
started out of the blue. I only noticed it because I was going to
email a pic from the slave and the slave was not there.

Please help!

Thanks!

Dezzilu
Old July 5th 08, 06:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

wrote in message
Hi all.

I am new-new-new to Vista. Don't know enough (about bios or any of
that) to research my issue.

Here's my deal...if I leave the computer on for a few days or what not
my computer looses my slave drive. This drive is what I keep my pics
and music on...

When I reboot the drive re-appears. Any ideas as to why? This has just
started out of the blue. I only noticed it because I was going to
email a pic from the slave and the slave was not there.

Please help!

Thanks!

Dezzilu

You need to tell us about the computer (make, model, laptop or desktop) and
what you mean by "slave" drive. Is it an external drive? How is it
connected? Firewire, usb, eSATA?

Old July 6th 08, 04:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dezzilu

Oh sorry Colin. It's a gateway, desktop, I think SATA and by slave I
mean internal secondary(?).
Old July 6th 08, 06:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"dezzilu" wrote in message
Oh sorry Colin. It's a gateway, desktop, I think SATA and by slave I
mean internal secondary(?).

Does the computer go into hibernation or sleep or does it just use the
screensaver?

There are no "master" or "slave" drives when using SATA. Each drive is on
its own controller unlike IDE which uses a Y cable to attach two drives
(master and slave) to the same controller.

Check the connections for power and data to the second drive and the data
connection to the mobo by disconnecting and then firmly reconnecting. Make
sure that the two drives have an empty bay between them to facilitate air
circulation. Make sure that you have a full completment of case fans to
help keep the hard drive temp down. Check these things first. While you
are in the case check the drive to see who made it and download the drive
test software from the hard drive manufacturer's website and test the drive.

Old July 8th 08, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dezzilu

Ok, I will give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.