Why does Vista always want to format a blank CD or DVD disk?

Old July 4th 08, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charles W Davis

Default Why does Vista always want to format a blank CD or DVD disk?

Personal attacks really make your day!!!
"Ringmaster" wrote in message
On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:11:54 -0500, "Xenomorph" wrote:

Wow, you sound ignorant.

Yeah, you're responding to a typical no nothing MS fanboy. They can't
get it in their heads anything free might be as good as or better then
the overpriced crap like Microsoft shovels out.

Just three examples of good, free applications:

Autoruns..... great utility that shows what's getting loaded at boot
GIMP......... equal to or better than Photoshop in many respects
VirtualDub... one of the best feature loaded basic video editors

There are dozens of others.

Any what's wrong with RW media? Nothing. McDaniel is just another
clueless jerk. This newsgroup is a magnet for his type.

Some of the best burning applications for Windows are free.

You recommend he buys CRAP software from Roxio or Nero instead?

Perhaps the user should try ImgBurn. It does just about everything Nero
does
(plus a lot more), and costs $0.

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in message

Your answer is simple enough:
Stop using CD-RW media or DVD-RW media.
Also, spend a few bucks and buy decent burner software -- like Nero's or
Roxio's software.

Cheap-skate!

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.

Old July 4th 08, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ringmaster

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:04:19 -0700, "Charles W Davis"
wrote:

Personal attacks really make your day!!!

No, correcting misinformation from some blowhard does.

.. .

Old July 4th 08, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charabeuh

hello

Your problem is a real one. I got the same one.

I try to remember what i have done...

I uninstalled all the burning softwares except one. I disabled the burning
service of vista. I deleted a directory (don't remember which one and if i
do my Vista is not in english) whose content was files to burn on a disk.
Look like i began a burning operation with vista's burning tool and never
went to the end.)

Hope it gives you some ideas.

(I apologyze for my english)

"Gordon" a écrit dans le message de
Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on the
machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or DVDRW
using the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I
cancel the format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Old July 5th 08, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Mick Murphy

XP always wanted to install its file System on a CD before burning files!!!!!
That is why we used 3rd party burning software, lol.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

"Gordon" wrote:

"Xenomorph" wrote in message
Wow, you sound ignorant.

Some of the best burning applications for Windows are free.

You recommend he buys CRAP software from Roxio or Nero instead?

Perhaps the user should try ImgBurn. It does just about everything Nero
does (plus a lot more), and costs $0.

I actually use CDBurnerXP Pro - have done for some years....the main point
of my post is, that occasionally, I do just want to do a simple file burn
from Explorer without firing up the burning app, and with XP that was OK but
in Vista you can't do that without formatting the CD/DVD first.....

Old July 5th 08, 05:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Gordon

"Mick Murphy" wrote in message
XP always wanted to install its file System on a CD before burning
files!!!!!

sigh.......

Old July 5th 08, 01:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
BurrWalnut

Here are a couple of things to try:

1. Experiment with the autoplay settings in Control Panel Autoplay.

2. Using an unimportant DVD/CD, allow Vista to go through the motions of
formatting the disk. I think it will fail then allow you to ‘explore’ the
drive. Sometimes this ‘pseudo’ formatting resets the drive.

Old July 5th 08, 03:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JerryM

One more note,

Look at the labels on the DVD disks,
If it says DVD-R or DVD-RW (notice the hyphen) the disk is already
formatted.
If it says DVD+R or DVD+RW (notice the plus sign ) the disk needs to be
formatted.

Jerry

Old July 8th 08, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
- Bobb -

"JerryM" wrote in message
One more note,

Look at the labels on the DVD disks,
If it says DVD-R or DVD-RW (notice the hyphen) the disk is already
formatted.
If it says DVD+R or DVD+RW (notice the plus sign ) the disk needs to
be formatted.

Jerry

Whether Vista or another app - with option to use drive checked will try
to format it.
"Do you have Recording enabled" for drive ?
I found that in Drive Properties - Recording tab - uncheck "Recording "
box and autoformatting stopped for me. Blank DVD's for either model would
produce same result. If you had software cd burning app installed, IT
would start format ( if set to do so) automatically. Windows sees unusable
media and is trying to correct it.