Why does Vista always want to format a blank CD or DVD disk?

Old July 4th 08, 11:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

Default Why does Vista always want to format a blank CD or DVD disk?

Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on the
machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or DVDRW using
the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I cancel the
format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Old July 4th 08, 12:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Donald McDaniel[_3_]

"Gordon" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on the
machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or DVDRW
using the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I
cancel the format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Your answer is simple enough:
Stop using CD-RW media or DVD-RW media.
Also, spend a few bucks and buy decent burner software -- like Nero's or
Roxio's software.

Cheap-skate!

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread and newsgroup.

Old July 4th 08, 12:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Donald McDaniel" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on
the machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or DVDRW
using the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I
cancel the format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Your answer is simple enough:
Stop using CD-RW media or DVD-RW media.
Also, spend a few bucks and buy decent burner software -- like Nero's or
Roxio's software.

Cheap-skate!

sigh but if you read my post, it also tries to format CDR and DVDR AS
WELL.

Old July 4th 08, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

"Gordon" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on
the machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or DVDRW
using the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I
cancel the format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Your answer is simple enough:
Stop using CD-RW media or DVD-RW media.
Also, spend a few bucks and buy decent burner software -- like Nero's or
Roxio's software.

Cheap-skate!

sigh but if you read my post, it also tries to format CDR and DVDR AS
WELL.

Then try option 2: get a decent burning program :-)
Old July 4th 08, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Nonny" wrote in message
news

"Gordon" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on
the machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or
DVDRW
using the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I
cancel the format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Your answer is simple enough:
Stop using CD-RW media or DVD-RW media.
Also, spend a few bucks and buy decent burner software -- like Nero's or
Roxio's software.

Cheap-skate!

sigh but if you read my post, it also tries to format CDR and DVDR AS
WELL.

Then try option 2: get a decent burning program :-)

I've got one. It's free. I just want to know a) why it does it and b) is
there a way to stop it. I do sometimes just want to do a simple burn-to-disk
from explorer....

Old July 4th 08, 03:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

"Gordon" wrote:

"Nonny" wrote in message
news

"Gordon" wrote in message
Vista Home Premium. I have no third-party CD/DVD recording software on
the machine. Every time I go to burn files to a CDR, CDRW, DVD R or
DVDRW
using the Windows burning function it wants to format the disk. If I
cancel the format, then the burn is not proceeded with.
XP does not do this. How do I stop this infuriating behaviour?

Your answer is simple enough:
Stop using CD-RW media or DVD-RW media.
Also, spend a few bucks and buy decent burner software -- like Nero's or
Roxio's software.

Cheap-skate!

sigh but if you read my post, it also tries to format CDR and DVDR AS
WELL.

Then try option 2: get a decent burning program :-)

I've got one. It's free.

You can't set the default autoplay option to open that program when
you insert a blank disc??

Old July 4th 08, 05:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Xenomorph

Wow, you sound ignorant.

Some of the best burning applications for Windows are free.

You recommend he buys CRAP software from Roxio or Nero instead?

Perhaps the user should try ImgBurn. It does just about everything Nero does
(plus a lot more), and costs $0.

Old July 4th 08, 05:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

I can agree with you 100% WRT Nero, both the Windows and Linux (is that
a joke or what?) versions are terribly buggy. Or at least they were
until they hit the trashcan.

Old July 4th 08, 05:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Gordon

"Xenomorph" wrote in message
Wow, you sound ignorant.

Some of the best burning applications for Windows are free.

You recommend he buys CRAP software from Roxio or Nero instead?

Perhaps the user should try ImgBurn. It does just about everything Nero
does (plus a lot more), and costs $0.

I actually use CDBurnerXP Pro - have done for some years....the main point
of my post is, that occasionally, I do just want to do a simple file burn
from Explorer without firing up the burning app, and with XP that was OK but
in Vista you can't do that without formatting the CD/DVD first.....

Old July 4th 08, 06:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ringmaster

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 12:11:54 -0500, "Xenomorph" wrote:

Wow, you sound ignorant.

Yeah, you're responding to a typical no nothing MS fanboy. They can't
get it in their heads anything free might be as good as or better then
the overpriced crap like Microsoft shovels out.

Just three examples of good, free applications:

Autoruns..... great utility that shows what's getting loaded at boot
GIMP......... equal to or better than Photoshop in many respects
VirtualDub... one of the best feature loaded basic video editors

There are dozens of others.

Any what's wrong with RW media? Nothing. McDaniel is just another
clueless jerk. This newsgroup is a magnet for his type.