sleep turns off usb-usb mouse & keyboard can't wake pc!

Old July 5th 08, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xiowan

Default sleep turns off usb-usb mouse & keyboard can't wake pc!

Hi All:
My Intel motherboard has no PS/2 connections for keyboard or mouse and
requires USB versions. My problem is that I can put the pc to sleep with
either the sleep button on the keyboard or the on-screen sleep button but
when the pc goes to sleep the keyboard and mouse USB connections go to sleep
too........leaving me with no way to wake up the pc! I have tried using
Vista 64's built in drivers for the mouse & keyboard and also tried
downloading and installing the Microsoft software for the keyboard & mouse.
Same problem.........the light on the keyboard and mouse both turn off when
sleep is utilized. I've tried changing the settings in the Power Options to
enable the power button on the pc to turn on sleep instead of shut down. It
does put the pc to sleep but when I try to wake the pc from sleep with the
power button the pc acts like it was completely shutdown and tries to do a
full boot which then results in the windows screen saying it didn't shut down
right, "start normally"? The pc then starts as normal but how do fix the
sleep problem? Any ideas. I have no problem with another pc with Vista
Ultimate and 2 other pcs with MCE2005 and the sleep status. The problem pc
has all the latest Window updates, current bios, latest ATI 64 bit drivers
for the graphics card. One possibility might be that the graphics card is
designed for the new PCIe 2.0 but the board is the older PCIe standard. The
graphics card is supposed to be "backwards compatible" with older PCIe slots
but now I wonder if that could be the problem? Help!!!!

Old July 6th 08, 03:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xiowan

Hi "mikeyhsd":
Thanks for the suggestion. I opened Device Manager and found 8 USB Root
Hub entries. I entered Properties on each device until I found the one for
Keyboard and one for the Mouse. There was only one option, a blank square
for "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". There was
also a blank square for "Allow this device to wake the computer" but that
attribute was greyed out and unavailable. I then went to the Device Mgr
listing for "Keyboards" and under power management I entered a checkmark in
the box for "Allow this device to wake the computer". After leaving the
Device Manager I put the computer into sleep mode and the same problem
occurred.......keyboard and mouse lights turned off and the devices were not
available to wake the pc from sleep. I had to press the power button on the
pc to start the pc and it went into full boot up mode which then failed with
the message about "start normally?" which I clicked yes to. After another
failed re-boot attempt, instead of selecting start normally I went into "safe
mode" and then re-started and the pc started fine. Something is sure messed
up! I ran the windows memory check using the Vista Installation dvd and the
memory checked out fine. I then used the Vista dvd and tried a "Repair" but
that came up as Vista couldn't find any start up problems.
One symptom I have noticed is that after each boot failure attempt when I
finally successfully complete the boot up the desktop has switched from the
Vista "theme" to "Windows classic" without the Aero feature enabled. This
makes me wonder if the waking from sleep problem could be related to a failed
PCIe graphics card. I have used the ATI driver and software download to
uninstall the graphics card and all software and the pc will go to sleep and
wake up normally but then Vista automatically finds the driver and installs
it with the resulting sleep/wakeup problem re-surfacing. This ATI HD3650
graphics card has both an HDMI output and DVI output. The new HP monitor
has VGA or HDMI inputs. The sleep problem occurs using the HDMI and also
when I use a DVI to VGA adaptor on the graphics card to enable use of the VGA
input on the monitor.
Both the monitor and the graphics card carry "Vista certified" labels.
Here is a list of the hardware should anyone want to jump in with any other
suggestions:

Intel DP35DPM Board
Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo cpu
3 GBs DDR2 800 Mhz RAM (2x1 GB, 2x512 MB)
Antec 500w "Earth-saving?" PSU
WD 640 GB SataII HD
SG Barricuda 7200.10 320 GB SataII HD(x3)
SG Barricuda 7200.9 ATA 120 GB (slave)
WD Caviar SE 320 GB ATA HD (master)
CD/DVD R/RW Sata Multi-drive

Old July 6th 08, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xiowan

Hi "Smithsonian":
I tried that. I have it set to put the pc to sleep but after putting it
to sleep when I try to wake it up using the power button the pc fails to boot
properly and comes up with that message "windows didn't shut down normally,
use safe mode or boot normally?: No matter how I put the pc to sleep the
power button doesn't wake it it shuts it off and tries to re-start. I've
just switched graphics cards to a 2 yr old Nvidia 7600 GT and will see if it
solves the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old July 6th 08, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
mikeyhsd[_2_]

make sure all the devices that have the
Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
is not checked.

also check your bios for allow mouse/j\keyboard to wake compuer and make sure it is enabled.

Old July 6th 08, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Nonny

xiowan wrote:

Hi "Smithsonian":
I tried that. I have it set to put the pc to sleep but after putting it
to sleep when I try to wake it up using the power button the pc fails to boot
properly and comes up with that message "windows didn't shut down normally,
use safe mode or boot normally?: No matter how I put the pc to sleep the
power button doesn't wake it it shuts it off and tries to re-start. I've
just switched graphics cards to a 2 yr old Nvidia 7600 GT and will see if it
solves the problem.

I don't know what your problem is but I am SURE it won't be fixed by
changing a graphic card.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old July 7th 08, 12:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
xiowan

Hi again "mikeyhsd":
I think the only devices with "turn off to save power checkbox are the
keyboard and mouse" and those aren't checked. Went thru the bios thoroughly
and there is no option to allow the keyboard and mouse to wake the computer.
I think because they are usb and not PS/2 devices?
Switching the graphics card still does not help to wake the pc from sleep
but at least I know that using a backwards compatible PCIe graphics card on
the old PCI bus wasn't what caused the problem and that the graphics card
wasn't defective.
I'm starting to wonder if a power surge may have damaged the motherboard
causing this problem. It's monsoon season here and there may have been a
power surge while the pc was on recording a tv program that was too much for
the protection offered by my surge protector. I noticed in Media Center
"History" that a recording didn't complete due to the pc shutting down during
the recording. This occurred about the same time as the problem putting the
pc to sleep started.
Since I've checked all the settings that could prevent sleep, checked the
memory, switched to different graphics card, re-installed the O.S., tried it
with all the hard drives disconnected but the O.S. drive and sleep still
doesn't work I guess replacing the motherboard is my last option. Thanks for
your time and effort. It's nice to be able to get constructive assistance in
the newsgroup.

xiowan.........in tucson

Old July 7th 08, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rich.

There is a jumper on many newer motherboards that if moved will keep the 5
volt power going to the keyboard and mouse when the computer is asleep. This
will allow you to use either one to wake the computer. It is probably set to
kill the 5 volt power during sleep mode.