Indexing Options / Advanced Options

Old July 6th 08, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Hike_Mike

Default Indexing Options / Advanced Options

Perhaps I am not using the 'help' properly with the right syntax, but I can't
find any information on the advanced option for indexing file types. (how
does one use help to find this by the way)...

What I see are the extensions and a check box and a filter description and
radio buttons below. What I want to ensure is that my email is being
indexed, so I presume that is the .PST file. If I select this (ie, highlight
it), I presume it should be checked. If unchecked I presume it is not
indexed no matter what the radio buttons are marked. Correct ?

If checked, there are two selections, "Properties only" and "Properties +
Content". If I select Properties then the filter description is "file
Properties", ,whereas if I select properties+content I get 'Plain Text
Filter'.

The question is:

Is the selectionof the radio button showing whether that is selected (ie,
the check mark is checked or not applies to the radio button).

or

Is the selectionof the radio button changing the Filter description which is
only active IF the check mark has been pre-selected?

To give an example:

Situation #1: .PST unchecked. It doesn't matter how you select the radio
button. This file type will not be indexed.

Situation #2: .PST checked and 'index properties only' is radio selected.
This means that only properties will be indexed. Contents will not be
indexed.

Similarly .PST checked and 'properties + contents' would mean that the
'plain text filter' is enabled to make this happen.

Situation #3 (less likely) is that the check mark is a 'status indicator'
for the radio button. When one selects the radio button, the check mark
shows whether that option applies or not. Hence Selecting 'properties +
contents' and having a result of an unchecked .PST file would show that
'properties + contents' is inactive. One would have then to select
'Properties only' and look at the check mark. If unchecked, THEN the file
would not be indexed at all.

Last question is how all of hese file types got set in the first place.
Old July 7th 08, 08:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Dave Wood [MSFT]

The key thing to realize here is that indexing of Outlook data like .PST
files is controlled by what data files are loaded into Outlook. It is not in
any way controlled by the file types dialog. You should see on the first
page of the Indexing Options an entry called "Microsoft Office Outlook", and
then if you hit modify you can expand this node and select which stores are
indexed. All PST stores should be indexed by default {if not there may be
some kind of configuration issue}.

Dave Wood

Old September 3rd 08, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White

Hi, Dave.

Aha! Modify "Microsoft Office Outlook"!

Great! Now, how do we get "Microsoft Office Publisher" into that list of
things that CAN BE modified? "On the first page of the Indexing Options",
like Outlook is?

The alternative, I suppose, is to install a "filter" for Publisher files.
I'm sure that you (or was it Ilia?) helped me find such a filter a year or
so ago, but I've had to rebuild Vista since then and I can't recall how we
got it to work before.

(Sorry to come in late on this old thread, but I just now spotted it. And
I'm still trying to find out - again - how to get the CONTENTS of all my
..pub files into the Index.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA