Hard drive arm keeps going back&forth

Old July 6th 08, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roach_779

Default Hard drive arm keeps going back&forth

My computer is not reading my second HD. It keeps making a clicking
sound, when I opened it, the drive arm (actuator) keeps going back &
forth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

roach

--
roach_779

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Core2Quad Q6600
4 GB ram
evga 8800 GT KO
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
Creative X-F1 Xtreme Gamer Fatal Pro
Logitech Wave Keyboard and G5 Mouse
Vista Ultimate 64
Old July 6th 08, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Curious

Buy a new drive.
By opening the drive not only have you cancelled its warranty if any was
active but you have also caused unfiltered air to get into the drive which
due to extremely fine particles in the air would cause it not to operate
properly even if you could fix the original problem with the drive which is
probably due to a part failure on the drive's electronics unit.

Old July 6th 08, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PD43[_2_]

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:58:21 -0500, roach_779
wrote:

My computer is not reading my second HD. It keeps making a clicking
sound, when I opened it, the drive arm (actuator) keeps going back &
forth.

Disk is badly damaged, dying or is already dead.

Any suggestions?

Pray.

Thanks in advance

roach

Old July 6th 08, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
fuzor_silverbolt[_29_]

lol Curious & DL. lol noob

--
fuzor_silverbolt
Old July 6th 08, 11:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roach_779

"roach_779" wrote in message

My computer is not reading my second HD. It keeps making a clicking
sound, when I opened it, the drive arm (actuator) keeps going back &
forth.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

roach

--
roach_779

Asus P5N32-E SLI
Core2Quad Q6600
4 GB ram
evga 8800 GT KO
Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
Creative X-F1 Xtreme Gamer Fatal Pro
Logitech Wave Keyboard and G5 Mouse
Vista Ultimate 64

HD actually died a long time ago. I was trying to see if I can get this
HD (arm problem), and other drives that I have lying around, to work so
I can extract files before I throw them away.

When I opened it, I was hopping it would unjam something...one of my
last attempt before I throw the drive away.

If there are service out there that are able to extract files from HD
that gone through a fire, I'm sure HD's platter is resilient enough to
survive an open case...though I'm not that desperate to use such
service.

Old July 7th 08, 01:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"roach_779" wrote in message

[...]

A local computer shop can advise you whether or not any data on any of the
drives are recoverable. You can also buy very good recovery software from
companies like OnTrack. The one thing you MUST do is stop trying to access
the drives yourself. Every time you do you lessen the likelihood of any
recovery.

Old July 7th 08, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
roach_779

I'll check that out...thanks!

Old July 7th 08, 06:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Thackery[_2_]

I must concur with the others: opening the drive is a seriously bad idea if
you want to get any data off it.

In one of your posts you said "I'm sure the platter is resilient enough to
survive an open case". Well, you're wrong! Did you know that the head
flies so close to the disk that even a single particle of tobacco smoke can
cause a head crash? OK, so you don't smoke, but the point is that the
system is EXCEPTIONALLY sensitive to dust and dirt.

I'm not saying you will damage the disk, I'm saying you're greatly
increasing the risk of damage.

When the data recovery companies open up a disk drive (which they do as a
last resort), it's done in clean-room conditions.

SteveT