HP Bios

Old July 6th 08, 10:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
joylynn[_3_]

Default HP Bios

Hi,:sarc:
I have bios update,and knowing very little on what this is can someone
tell me if this is going to be hard or easy and can it harm my Laptop,HP
Pavilion Entertainment PC windows Vista .I learning or attempting too,so
please help do i need to do this and is it difficult.thank you
joylynn:cry:

--
joylynn

*::Joylynn::*
Old July 6th 08, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Malke[_2_]

joylynn wrote:

Hi,:sarc:
I have bios update,and knowing very little on what this is can someone
tell me if this is going to be hard or easy and can it harm my Laptop,HP
Pavilion Entertainment PC windows Vista .I learning or attempting too,so
please help do i need to do this and is it difficult.thank you
joylynn:cry:

Who or what is "sarc:"? Consider writing like a grownup if you want help.

Here are links that will show you how to write a newsgroup post that will
get good answers:

http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

In the meantime, why do you feel you need to update your BIOS? Nowadays
updating the BIOS on a modern machine is usually easy but there is always a
risk and a BIOS flash should not be done without good reason.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Old July 7th 08, 01:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

"joylynn" wrote in message

Hi,:sarc:
I have bios update,and knowing very little on what this is can someone
tell me if this is going to be hard or easy and can it harm my Laptop,HP
Pavilion Entertainment PC windows Vista .I learning or attempting too,so
please help do i need to do this and is it difficult.thank you
joylynn:cry:

--
joylynn

*::Joylynn::*

The best source of help is HP since they can advise you of the hazards you
need to prepare for. Use the contact information in your Control Panel/Help
and Support. HP puts information specific to HP in H&S.

Old July 7th 08, 03:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mickey Mouse

As Colin says the best source is HP itself. However if you are out of
warranty you will be charged for their help.
As long as you have the right and I stress RIGHT update it should be no
problem. Can't you get automatic updates from them?
Also, before installing the update make sure that the current bios says the
first boot drive is your system drive.
I mean, if you have two physical hard drives and the non-system hard drive
is the first boot hard drive the system will hang and you won't get it back
till you call HP. I know because this happened to me.
Make sure you have their phone number, in case.

Mickey

Old July 7th 08, 03:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Charlie Tame

joylynn wrote:
Hi,:sarc:
I have bios update,and knowing very little on what this is can someone
tell me if this is going to be hard or easy and can it harm my Laptop,HP
Pavilion Entertainment PC windows Vista .I learning or attempting too,so
please help do i need to do this and is it difficult.thank you
joylynn:cry:

Joylynn,

In most cases a failed attempt to update a BIOS can result in your
computer becoming a door stop or paperweight, it is probably the most
risky thing you can attempt. The machine can become totally dead and
even an expert may be unable to fix it.

The BIOS or Basic Input Output System is a small program built into a
chip so your computer has just enough information to load up Windows and
kick itself into life. The danger is that if it gets messed up you may
not be able to try again, hence the warning.

If you attempt this at all you must be 100% sure you really need to do
it, you need to be 100% sure you have the correct BIOS to replace it
with and 100% sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY.

Very new motherboards can sometimes be recovered after a failed BIOS
update, but usually this ends up being time consuming and needing expert
help.
Old July 7th 08, 09:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mick Murphy

Unless there is something that you really, really need to make something
work, that requires you to do a Bios update to get it, FORGET IT!
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia